Scapula ROM

Started by PhilipP, September 12, 2015 · 2 Replies · 2,595 Views

PhilipP

Hi

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what scapular/ shoulder positions are safe to put your shoulder into? I've been trying to gain better motor control of my scaps as I can't even do scap push-ups without my shoulders riding up and I started reading about moving your scaps through all ranges of motions while hanging or in a support and so on as helping to fully control the scaps. So an example would be to do do a full passive hang and then retract and protract the scaps and then do same in an active hang and then eventual rotate through like scapular pull-ups. The thing is you always hear things like you shouldn't internally rotate the shoulders with arms overhead or in a support position, or let the shoulders shrug up and internally rotate cause it'll cause shoulder issues. But isn't this essentially what your doing during these scapular pull-ups and support rotations?Shouldn't the shoulder and scapula be able to move through all these positions pain free? I can do these movements holding onto bands or with arms down to side but in a passive hang when I retract the scaps which is internally rotating shoulders I do feel pain in right shoulder? is this not a good position or should I be trying to figure out what's wrong with shoulder that I can't do this? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Phil

Ravn

There are a bunch of passive / active hang exercises in Foundation which would precede full bodyweight manipulation of the scapula as you suggest. There are also many protraction/retraction exercises which are done at less than bodyweight. I like the idea, and have seen some good examples of it, but there are many, many simpler progressions which could be useful to do first.

ausswe

my physio told me as you do scapular pull up your humerus should externally rotate so that it sits correctly at the joint although most people i think have weak external rotators due to over use of pecs and lats and poor posture.   he said something similar about my handstand but i think the handstand comment may be due to my specific issue with my shoulder.