This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2 Standing Shoulder Extension

Started by tejo1, September 9, 2015 · 5 Replies · 404 Views

tejo1

I'm pretty close to mastery for HS/PE2 Standing Static Shoulder Extension, but I've noticed that my neck tends to protract (stick out forward) a bit and this helps me retract my shoulder blades and raise the bar higher. Is this OK? This looks like the course video as far as I can tell, but the reason I ask is that if I stand with my nose, chest, and hips touching a wall (ensuring I'm straight up and down) I can't go into extension nearly as much.

 

If I am in fact supposed to keep myself from protracting my neck, should I be practicing this with the wall? Does anyone else do that? What about facing the floor and doing this lying down?

 

 

Jon Douglas

Try not to crane your neck. This will be a fail point on a form check if its obvious you are going too heavy for your current abilities :)

Lying down is not an acceptable substitute as above, although it is a great drill in its own right :)

SlipDaJab

I was wondering is it ok to start with your hands wider on the bar at first and then work your way to a narrower grip?

Alexander Egebak
SlipDaJab said:

I was wondering is it ok to start with your hands wider on the bar at first and then work your way to a narrower grip?

Yes it is.

 

First you go for range of motion (height), secondly you go for a narrower grip, thirdly you go for increased weight.

SlipDaJab

Thank you.  I was also wondering if mobility work in general should be worked more often. e.g Should standing shoulder extensions be worked outside my two handstand days in order to further progress or should the foundation and handstand mobility exercises we are currently on be kept only to the days we do those. 

Mark Collins
SlipDaJab said:

Thank you.  I was also wondering if mobility work in general should be worked more often. e.g Should standing shoulder extensions be worked outside my two handstand days in order to further progress or should the foundation and handstand mobility exercises we are currently on be kept only to the days we do those.

If you do them more frequently do them less intensity. So you could do some stick extensions unweighted.