HBP is bower/90 degree push up? *Novice is struggling to tell the diff.*

Started by Jesse Kim, September 8, 2015 · 7 Replies · 2,275 Views

Jesse Kim

So I heard that a HBP has an upright support position at the end of movement while a bower/90 degree push up has a bent arm planche position at the end of the movement. People say they are similar/the same; so why the different names? 

Rayne-William

Read this previous thread on Bowers

Jesse Kim

I read it, but it confuses me that they would call it the same thing but change it afterwards. 

Jon Douglas

Just ease-of-use. Technically a hbp starts from support and becomes a bent/arm straight press to hs.

Bower was what Coach originally called the slightly abbreviated/harder version, which skips the support and makes it more of a pushup and ups the time under tension by requiring the bent arm planche rather than the relatively restful support position.

Personally I think Coach just decided to go with the name hbp in foundation simply to give a common reference point and to stop confusion over what is what.

Yaad Mohammad
Jon Douglas said:

Just ease-of-use. Technically a hbp starts from support and becomes a bent/arm straight press to hs.

Bower was what Coach originally called the slightly abbreviated/harder version, which skips the support and makes it more of a pushup and ups the time under tension by requiring the bent arm planche rather than the relatively restful support position.

Personally I think Coach just decided to go with the name hbp in foundation simply to give a common reference point and to stop confusion over what is what.

So a hollow back press is considered to be easier? For me they're much harder than bowers. In bowers I can maintain a hollow body making the press to a handstand easier. But when I try hollow back presses, I tend to lose that hollow position and it makes that press to handstand significantly more difficult. It could be an activation problem, but I think that strength is probably more likely to play a part here.

Mercurium

So a seated pike press is synonymous with a hollow back press?

Cole Dano
Mercurial Flow said:

So a seated pike press is synonymous with a hollow back press?

 

No, HBP is Bent Arm work, and will go through a bent arm planche position on the way down. 
 
A seated pike press uses Straight Arms and a high degree of compression, avoiding leaning forward towards planche.
 
One further clarification on the full HBP, it would normally start in L support, on Parallel Bars or Rings.
Mercurium
Cole Dano said:

 

No, HBP is Bent Arm work, and will go through a bent arm planche position on the way down. 
 
A seated pike press uses Straight Arms and a high degree of compression, avoiding leaning forward towards planche.
 
One further clarification on the full HBP, it would normally start in L support, on Parallel Bars or Rings.

 

I see! Thank you!