Hands slipping

Started by Tarr, September 7, 2015 · 6 Replies · 6,508 Views

Tarr

Hi, hope this is the right place for this topic.

 

I have a problem with my hands slipping, due to sweat, when training on a pull up bar. Its a fairly thick bar, at least for me, can't fully wrap my hands around it. I was able to solve this by using chalk but have had to stop using it due to it irritating my chest. So I'm avoiding any kind of chalk, liquid chalk or equivalent.

 

What I'm looking for is something that provides the same or similar benefit as chalk, whether in the form of gloves, wraps, etc. I've looked around but can't seem to find anything that helps. Most gloves seem to be designed for protection and are too thick. 

 

Anyone have any ideas that may help solve my problem?

 

Thanks.

MrPuppeh

Also a question on this :

 

Is it ok to use something that makes the bar less slippery ? OR that slipperyness is a test of grip strength ?

 

I wrap paper towels around the bar and it makes my grip very solid and easy - Is that not cheating ?

 

By cheating I mean - Am I cheating myself thinking that I have sufficient grip strength to perform the exercise ?

Blairbob

 If the bar is using is very slick or polished without any knurl, I wouldn't hesistate to use some chalk. That being said, you could just wrap it in athletic tape. Ain't pretty over time but you won't slip.

Tarr

Thanks for the suggestions.

 

Would it work taping my hands instead of the bar? Is there a certain tape that is best?

Rayne-William

If you are going to wrap the bar or your hands....use athletic tape.

Cole Dano

Liquid chalk works wonders for my grip.

Tarr

Its mostly during one armed exercises that its happening, two armed exercises are fine. Have put all pull up bar work at the start of each session which has helped. Its more of a consistency issue, one session its not a problem, the next my hand is slipping a bit or more, and so on.

 

Will give some ideas a try and see how they go.