This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What qualifies as mastery for dislocates?

Started by MattRobbo, September 6, 2015 · 14 Replies · 556 Views

MattRobbo

I have just purchased H1 and am in the process of going through the info and progressions to establish where I need to start.

 

Up to this point I can hold a solid free handstand consistently for 60s, but my mobility isn't 100% and I know I am not in a classic stacked position. I have a slight arch throughout my body and shoulders are closed a bit. For this reason I decided to get H1, to go back to scratch and do this thing properly, so that I can then progress to higher level stuff down the road.

 

My question relates to the various weighted dislocate progressions:

 

What constitutes full ROM and what weight?

 

I apologise if I have missed something in the information, but each individual iM states mastery = full ROM 5 x 5r. It also states that grip will get narrower over time. What is full ROM? Is it the grip width in the video? If so I'm presuming that I simple work towards that over time until I get there. Also no weight is specified. I think the guy in the vid is using a 10b bar, but that's a guess. If the width in the video isn't necessary to tick off mastery, how narrow do I need to be before I move on to the next one. I can do dislocates with 10lb fairly comfortable with my grip at the bottom starting around 12inches outside of my thighs.

 

Any advice welcome before I start my GB journey. Again I'm sorry if I've missed an explanation somewhere, but I have read through everything I can find.

 

Robbo

 

Further : After I posted this I did eventually manage to find the handstand 1 specific forum where this has all been covered. Sorry folks. Ignore my post..

Alessandro Mainente

Full rom before increasing weight is forward and backward movement with shoulders grip + one hands on each side.

Enkidu
Alessandro Mainente said:

Full rom before increasing weight is forward and backward movement with shoulders grip + one hands on each side.

I appreciate the response.  I wonder how many people who have progressed beyond this point have really mastered this iM.  This is a very very high level of shoulder flexibility, particularly for adults to achieve.  I could easily see the need to spend a year or more to get to that level of flexibility on this iM.

Alessandro Mainente

Basically everypeople who passed over more advanced elements than disclocates.

DO not be afraid by time, you cannot measure your progress by the time you spent on solving a certain problem.

after 2.5 years I can dislocate at shoulders grip with 8 kg. and with approximately 1.5 shoulders grip with more than 20 kg. 

it takes the time it needs, it seems to be proportional to the time you passed without balancing the anterior muscles with external rotator and retractors.

MattRobbo

Yes. The reason I bought H1, was because I like to do things properly or not at all. Coach Sommer's approach to this is the right way to do it. I'm too old to be getting injured every 6 months trying to cut corners, so I've decided to start back from scratch and get it right. Hopefully doing all this mobility will undo some niggles I have from years of Climbing, Oly lifting etc.

~Atticus
MattRobbo said:

Yes. The reason I bought H1, was because I like to do things properly or not at all. Coach Sommer's approach to this is the right way to do it. I'm too old to be getting injured every 6 months trying to cut corners, so I've decided to start back from scratch and get it right. Hopefully doing all this mobility will undo some niggles I have from years of Climbing, Oly lifting etc.

 

I've being doing dislocates (overgrip and undergrip) for a little over a year, and I can now do overgrip dislocates at mastery width (shoulder width + one hand on each side) and for the undergrip I'm probably 2 cm on each side from mastery.

 

Consequently, I have remained at HS/Pe5 from around June 2014 to present, although I could have advanced if I had wanted to. Instead, I chose to work on my shoulders and they feel completely different today than when I had started dislocates.

 

I intend to reach shoulder width some day, don't know when, though I've now decided to advance in H1.

 

* Please do not use my time as a reference for your abilities. You might very well accomplish mastery width in 12 weeks or less. But I encourage you not to rush it because doing so could result in unnecessary and unwanted injury.

 

** Also try to take a look at the video that was posted by the Singapore Affiliate of Gymnastic Bodies as it will save you a lot of time from doing these incorrectly.

Murray Truelove
~Atticus said:

I've being doing dislocates (overgrip and undergrip) for a little over a year, and I can now do overgrip dislocates at mastery width (shoulder width + one hand on each side) and for the undergrip I'm probably 2 cm on each side from mastery.

Consequently, I have remained at HS/Pe5 from around June 2014 to present, although I could have advanced if I had wanted to. Instead, I chose to work on my shoulders and they feel completely different today than when I had started dislocates.

I intend to reach shoulder width some day, don't know when, though I've now decided to advance in H1.

* Please do not use my time as a reference for your abilities. You might very well accomplish mastery width in 12 weeks or less. But I encourage you not to rush it because doing so could result in unnecessary and unwanted injury.

** Also try to take a look at the video that was posted by the Singapore Affiliate of Gymnastic Bodies as it will save you a lot of time from doing these incorrectly.

Do you have a link to that ** video?

Leonhard Krahé

I remember it was posted via their facebook page. Fantastic video indeed!

KingJR

No mention about weight though. I had always thought 10 lbs. Was a good weight to aim to. But seeing this thread makes me think I simply need to be able to achieve the proper width. Is this correct?

Alessandro Mainente

Proper width and proper weight and proper tempo and proper technique and no fatigue. ;-)

Joshua Slocum
KingJR said:

No mention about weight though. I had always thought 10 lbs. Was a good weight to aim to. But seeing this thread makes me think I simply need to be able to achieve the proper width. Is this correct?

5# would be the bare minimum to progress. 10# is a good target. 

 

It's also a good idea to keep dislocates in your warmup after mastering them, and slowly build the weight. 45# is a good final target. 

Itamar sha'ashuaS

Nope.

Maybe you have the mobility perform shoulder dislocates with shoulder width and without weight, but not the mobility do it with weight. For this reason you should them with weight. Start with low weight and build it up very carefully, don't rush with these!

greekdawg

Great thread.  This should be a sticky!