Being that I haven't needed to do support holds in Foundation, they have become quite weak. With this about to change as ring dips are three progressions away, I am curious if adding in some support holds after my FL, sPL, HBP, and RC workout would be beneficial. At what point do I know if my elbows are prepared for the stresses even this most basic ring work puts on them?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Ring Support Holds
Started by aiken54, September 6, 2015 · 9 Replies · 330 Views
Ring dips only require a brief support hold between reps and you should be able to develop that support strength as you are training the ring dips themselves. If you wanted to add some support holds in addition after your F1 workouts it probably would be fine.
The rings series shows exercises to build up to a ring support if you wanted to see what GB would have you doing.
I haven't specifically worked on RTO or Ring Dips since Nov-Dec '12 and though i've lost the volume, the position is stronger now. I agree with Stephen that working on the Ring Dips themselves will give you enough juice to do the momentary hold. no reason to rush things. ![]()
Okay! I'll be patient I guess
That seems to be the trend here.
brushing on my anatomy notes, the Dip is going to build chest, triceps, shoulders, bicep. the RTO portion stresses the Brachialis via strengthening the external rotators and further taxing the chest, triceps, etc. RTO will be for the demands of what I assume is moving through Iron Cross progressions (like planche, 1/2 press, ring HS) so it isnt like your wasting your time now by not doing it. you're or we're, as Coach puts it taking care of "first things, first". ![]()
With rings dips you need to develop some level of rings support. but if you are not advanced my suggestion is holding the elbows on the body in order to reduce the bicep tendon tension. when RC is completed on F4 you're welcome to start rings 1.
So when I do ring dips the RTO support isn't necessary, as it's covered in R1?
aiken54 said:So when I do ring dips the RTO support isn't necessary, as it's covered in R1?
the athlete in the video turns the rings out, he simply doesn't hold it and yes, RTO is part of R1 Iron Cross Prep.
I did not say that is not necessary, for a beginner level on rings a scaled RTO is more suitable. so extend your arms then turn the rings out while pushing the elbows on the upper body.
Okay, I understand now. Thanks