This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

squeezing lats during HBP PE's

Started by Spphysio, September 4, 2015 · 4 Replies · 306 Views

Spphysio

Quick question on HBP elements. I am on HBP/PE2 and I am performing it while I am squeezing my lats as hard as possible for scapula depression purposes (I use the same approach for sPL elements). I know for sure that you need to squeeze your lats hard at HBP/PE3. However, this makes HBP/PE2 millions time harder. I believe this will benefit in the long term progress even though progress is really slow. Do you think is worth doing it also in later HBP elements (those requiring depression for example Dips). I would like to hear the opinion of more experienced on this.

Keegan

Don't take my word as anything official, but from a biomechanical standpoint contracting the Lats maximally is impossible while simultaneously performing a push-up. This is because push-ups require Shoulder Flexion(especially elbows tucked versions) and/or Shoulder Horizontal Adduction (in elbows flared versions) which are Antagonistic movements to what the Lats perform.

The Lats do contribute to scapular depression, but they are not the only muscles to do so (Pec Minor, Pec Major, and the Lower Traps as well as the Rhomboids and Serratus Anterior all contribute to keeping the scapulae depressed and downwardly rotated), so I don't really think you need to try to maximally contract them the whole time. This is like stepping on the gas and the brakes at the same time. You are going to produce a lot of wasted effort.

But again, I am not an authority on gymnastics training, so if Coach, Zach, or any of the other GB coaches or athletes disagrees take their word, not mine.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Naterman effect?

Alexander Egebak

I think this is solid advice but why throw in that distraction in the end? Other than making fun of another guy it shifts focus from your original point.

Spphysio

What about Dip elements...still not necessary to squeeze lats I suppose.