This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

stretching frequency

Started by KevinH, September 4, 2015 · 8 Replies · 323 Views

KevinH

Apologies for posting a general question here but there is no umbrella forum.

I am aware of Coach Sommer's recommendation to do a stretching session once a week and doing more will actually slow down your progress.

At first I thought it meant one Front Split, one Middle Split, one Thoracic Split. Now I'm not sure.

Is it do each one once a week or only one concentrated stretch class per week?

Are you alternating classes or just focusing on one?

Itamar sha'ashuaS

Each one (TB, MS, FS) once a week.

Chris Garay

Hi Kevin,

In seminars Coach Sommer has also said he has had success doing each course twice every three weeks. So FSs and TBs week 1, MSs and FSs week 2, and TBs and MSs week 3.

Best,

Chris

Ryan Bailey

Hi Chris,

Would twice every two weeks be better for someone once they have somewhat mastered all the stretch elements?

Thanks,

Ryan

Chris Garay

Hi Ryan,

Twice every two weeks is the same as once per week, which is the standard recommendation. Also, I'm not sure there are "mastery" standards for the stretch elements. You can always regress or progress the stretches to challenge a person's given level of flexibility.

Best,

Chris

pghgymnastics

I like the idea of rotating two per week. It would definitely be easier to maintain.

Ryan Bailey

Ah, man Chris,

I just now read what I wrote as my question to you  :P .  I messed up... What I think I was asking was: 

When do you recommend to lower the frequency of  the stretch protocol?  Is this just for those who can do the stretches already really well?

Hopefully that makes sense.  This is just a curiosity for me, nothing serious, as I'll continue once/wk with the stretch series for now.

Thanks Chris,

Ryan

Chris Garay

Hi Ryan,

 

I understand. Reducing the frequency of each stretch session would depend on your schedule and time demands, but also how you respond individually in terms of soreness. I think we've all felt the calf soreness from FSs and the adductor soreness from MSs, and the slightly reduced frequency of twice every three weeks just allows for more recovery between hard stretch sessions.

 

Best,

Chris

Ryan Bailey

Got it... makes sense.  Understand the soreness part.  Sometimes after MSs, it feels as if I took a swim with Jaws and he chewed on my groin for lunch, but in a pleasant way.

Thanks Chris.