This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

7 weeks in F1 H1, thoughts and a couple questions

Started by David Wilson, September 2, 2015 · 7 Replies · 311 Views

David Wilson

I hope I am being just specific enough and not to long winded.Thanks in advance, for any thoughts or suggestions.

I am just about finished week 7... I remember thinking, when I started, that I should be able to do some of the movements and holds at or near the end level already.

I started from the begging though and did everything as prescribed. I did add some pullups and pistol work, which seemed fine for the first couple of weeks, but by the time the back off week came, I was mildly surprised to find that I needed it.

Thoughts from week 6 and 7, I am surprised at the level of fatigue that comes on two thirds of the way through the workout. By the end of week 6 and 7 I feel that I definitely need the weekend to rest. ( No pain or major issues, just an all over body fatigue, and some slight muscle and joint area, non specific tension)

 

Observations: I have gone from little or no rest between movements and sets, to anywhere from 5 - 15 seconds between the movement and mobility piece in the beginning, going as long as 60-90 seconds on some of the movements, by the last set or 2. This is to ensure that I can do the requisite number of reps, with the best possible form.

 

 

Questions: Does this generally seem to be on track?

I am still able to perform the work with the above mentioned rest periods, but am wondering if I might not be able to keep up exactly on pace in the weeks to come.

 

A little info: 

4 day per week routine

43 years old, around 200 lb's and 14 % BF I think (I can just see 4 abs, so I'm guessing) working to get myself closer to 180-190, whatever feels best.

OLY lifting and Crossfit background,

Minor AC separation from years back

 

 

Itamar sha'ashuaS

You shouldn't rest at all in foundation training, you just moving from one element to his iM and then to the other element 

David Wilson

Maybe I need to go down to a 3 day per week program, until I bring my body weight down then. I'm not sure... I know that I can go through the first few sets of each with little or no rest, but I can not do the last 2 sets without rest.

Stephen Majerle

There shouldn't be rest between PE's and IM's, but you can rest as needed between elements for equipment changing, element specific warmup, etc. But still want to keep that down to a couple minutes.

If you find you need 60-90 seconds extra rest between PE and iM then you should probably go back a few weeks in the rep scheme until you no longer need the extra rest.

David Wilson

Thank you,

Thats what I needed to know. 

I think I will be fine then.

I am only resting that long between elements...The rest time between PE and IM is only what is needed to transition. 

If my rest periods get any longer, or my mild fatigue advances, I will back up a few weeks and move forward from there.

 

Thanks again

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Do you mean 4 days of only foundation work?

If so, this is where the issue might be. Try to do 3 days a week and if it doesn't work, do 2 days a week. Then you will build up your work capacity over time. :)

Cheers

David Wilson

I am going to see how the rest of this week goes. If I can finish without having to increase any more rest between elements, and make sure I can keep moving from PE to IM without resting, then I will keep moving forward.

I am going down to 3 times per week, if I start to fall off at all

 

Thanks 

sean

You got some great ideas so not sure this needs to be added but, are you doing anything else in addition to F1 H1 through out the week? This could be draining reserves as well. Hows your sleep pattern through out the week?

Are you pushing through the iMs like you would the PEs? I tend to spend more time doing them within the required rep range, since mobility is an issue with me. Not super slow but enough to feel I'm working them and that extra time equals needed rest for me. When I do this I can usually get the rest I need to continue on.

I like the suggestion of hanging out longer in a rep range thats managable if running out of gas, I'll keep that in mind myself. But I would also say that its not always that easy to determine since depending on how difficult a PE is it can rob me of energy needed to go strong with other PEs. Espcially when Im not all in the same level with all elements. Sometimes I rearrange the order I do them to put the more draining elements first when I have the juice starting out and go from there. That being said I'm in a similar situation as you and there are times I need the rest as well. My thoughts for what they're worth....