This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Leg Strength After F4

Started by aiken54, September 1, 2015 · 13 Replies · 627 Views

aiken54

Besides just having really strong legs, I am looking to build explosive strength for tumbling and tricking. The latter requires a lot of stability bounding on one leg, so I'm planning on continuing to add weight to my lunges and walking with them as others have done. However, for more dynamic strength what would be the best way to approach that? I'm thinking I may work up to sets of 15-20 SLS per leg in addition to lunging and then begin doing some of the dynamic SLS work found in BtGB. That being said, I don't know much about training dynamic strength, so guidance is much appreciated. 

Jon Douglas

Coach has mentioned elsewhere working your regular 10R warmup SLS to faster / deck / jumping. BTGB progressions probably have you covered here.

People keep telling me how great Olympic lifting is for these purposes but I'm yet to try it, mostly as I want correct coaching.

Senders, jumping lunges holding dumbbells ('Killers') are good, sled or tyre drags/pushes, hill sprints with weighted vest, box/depth jumps, and tumbling series themselves are good for this kind of development.

aiken54

Definitely going to work up jumping SLS. Should I do weighted SLS first, or both, or will jumping SLS cover me pretty well?

Jon Douglas

I note you haven't finished F4 leg strength, so that will be enough in terms of max strength for the moment. I wouldn't bother weighting your SLS if you are going to train jumping SLS at the same time, you will be just getting in your own way trying to learn two different mechanics for the same movement.

 

Given your goals, it makes sense to start working in SL (deck because I like em) squats. You may want to try something like 2 days strength, 2 days jumping/plyo for legs around a 4 day split, or MF dynamic / W heavy on a 3-day/week. I have had my best results with the second, although I'm not a very springy guy.
 

 

Or you could make the only changes at this stage to your regular SLS, that won't require any schedule shuffling :)

aiken54

My schedule is four day foundation MTRF with front squat and deadlift on Saturday, following Wendler 5-3-1. I could do jumping SLS work on TF in lieu of the Foundation SLS work that is currently on those days. As for the lunging, should I keep working up weight on Saturdays and do weighted jumping lunges on TF? Or is that the same deal as jumping SLS and weighted SLS?

 

Excuse me if I'm reading too much into this. 

Chris Garay

Hi aiken,

 

Have you completed mastery of all the FLS progressions (including bodyweight lunges)? Just checking. Just to toss one more idea into the mix: getting proper instruction in the basic Olympic lifts can be very beneficial for lower body explosiveness. That obviously depends on your goals, but I would surmise that your tumbling and tricking would improve from even just one OLY session per week, done properly.

 

Where do you live? It shouldn't be too difficult to find a qualified coach in your area.

 

Best,

Chris

aiken54

I'm currently on the final progression of the FLS series and do not intend on beginning the training we're discussing until that's taken care of. I currently work out at a CrossFit gym where they teach olympic lifts, although I don't know the quality OLY coaching looks like because I don't know much about olympic lifting. For now I've put olympic lifting in the same category as my hand balancing; to be done after F4 and H1 are complete. That being said I have been experimenting with adding some light overhead squat at the end of regular SLS days.

MT Nordic

My 2 cents: There's not a lot of leg strength to be gained from overhead squats. they serve more as an accessory exercise for snatchers. If you've completed F4, I would focus on deadlifting and squats for strength, and power cleans and jumping lunges/squats/bulgarian SLS for dynamic power.  If you want to be a better oly lifter of course work on them all, but power cleans are the ones that have really been shown to have carry over to other sports.  I don't do any snatches, myself, as i feel the risk/reward ratio is too high and i'm not interested in oly lifting for its own sake, only as a tool to build power for my sports.  

aiken54

On the other side of power cleans what are your thoughts on split jerks? I've never considered power cleans, I'll definitely look into those, as the few times I've done them (as well as hang cleans although they don't offer the same benefits) I've had a lot of fun.

Freeflyer
aiken54 said:

On the other side of power cleans what are your thoughts on split jerks? I've never considered power cleans, I'll definitely look into those, as the few times I've done them (as well as hang cleans although they don't offer the same benefits) I've had a lot of fun.

Jerks are a really powerful movement, but they can be a bit technical.  Since you're not looking to compete make sure you switch legs when you do them. 

 

PCs are great because they are relatively low skill.  It won't take a lot to learn the correct form and they are good movement for developing explosive power. 

aiken54

Okay, thanks! I'll look into power cleans. Is power best worked at the beginning of a strength session or at the end? I'm assuming beginning because it's more taxing on the CNS, but so are 90% of 1 RM deadlifts.

MT Nordic

yes, power is best at the beginning of the workout.  however, you probably shouldn't combine max strength day with power day.  do as different microcycle altogether or at least on different days.  

aiken54

How's this sound:

 

Tuesday after SL and MN : Power cleans, jumping SLS (deck > regular > weighted)

Friday after SL and MN: Lunge variations (Bulgarian, step back, walking, etc.) with jumping at the end (?)

Saturday: Front squat and Deadlift following Wendler 5-3-1

Freeflyer

Instead of jumping SLS I would consider working on broad jumps, lateral (single and double leg) and box jumps.  Box jumps should be done for height and power, not for conditioning as is often seen.  Work on building you box jump up to chest height or even higher.  Of course great hip mobility will give you more height, but there's nothing wrong with that.

 

Also, I wouldn't put your pure strength day immediately following a lunge day.  I like my heavy squat work at the beginning of the week.