This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE4 - Arch Ups

Started by Trevor Lewis, September 1, 2015 · 6 Replies · 424 Views

Trevor Lewis

Been doing these on a cheap old 45 degree hyperextension bench I hauled away for a guy on craigslist. Was wondering if I shouldn't Murray it instead to get my legs closer to parallel to the ground.

 

I've seen the other threads but couldn't find anything on this specifically and it gives me the full ROM but I'm thinking the leverage may be less than what is needed. Thoughts?

 
Cole Dano

Don't overthink this one, use what you have, its fine.

Trevor Lewis

Thanks! I've been using this but was testing for mastery this week and just wanted to be sure I wasn't selling myself short.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

I definitely noticed a difference moving from a 45 degree bench to a proper glute-ham machine where my legs are parallell to the floor.

 

The glute -ham machine made it much harder.

~Atticus
Cameron Williams said:

I definitely noticed a difference moving from a 45 degree bench to a proper glute-ham machine where my legs are parallell to the floor.

 

The glute -ham machine made it much harder.

I had mastered arch ups in July, but then I had a bad bout with the flu and had to take a couple of weeks off while recuperating.

 

When I decided to return to arch ups just to test myself I found that I couldn't do 5 x 10 reps.  I could barely manage 5 x 5 reps. So I decided to work on these again but I also decided to try increasing my ROM to see if it would change anything.

 

And I kid you not, arch ups became a completely different exercise for me when I increased my ROM.

 

To increase my ROM I had to add some padding for my pelvis area, right by the pubic bone, because I was getting some serious discomfort there. Then I decided to pick a spot on the ceiling that I would always look at on my way up.

 

I can honestly tell you that I started to get really sore in my lower back (a good soreness) after doing maybe 3 sets of 10. Some days I just do 4 sets of 10 and I'm done, because I get sore.  Again, this isn't a case of over doing things, or overworking my back in any way, it's just that arch ups, correctly done, will work your back like you cannot believe.

 

So try to increase your ROM as much as possible, particularly at the top, as it will certainly become a really challenging workout.

Trevor Lewis

Were you also using a 45 degree bench? I am still doing full ROM (lifting chin up at the top and going past horizontal to my body) I had test for mastery on this the first week and was really sore for the next couple days so I started them from the week5-9. These usually make my back feel really tight on the last set or two. 

 

Tested for mastery last week and met the set/rep requirement but I was struggling with the last set a bit more than I like to call it "mastered" just yet so gonna do another cycle, will probably try to find another setup and see if I notice a difference or not in difficulty.

~Atticus
Trevor Lewis said:

Were you also using a 45 degree bench? I am still doing full ROM (lifting chin up at the top and going past horizontal to my body) I had test for mastery on this the first week and was really sore for the next couple days so I started them from the week5-9. These usually make my back feel really tight on the last set or two. 

 

 

No I use a hamstring curl machine in a gym, which can be adjusted for arch ups.