This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Warming up structure

Started by Rahul, September 1, 2015 · 11 Replies · 300 Views

Rahul

Should i warmup for all the elements at the beginning ?  

(FL warmup , spl warmup , etc ....... then work sets of FL , sPL , etc)

 

OR

 

Should i warmup for only the following specific element ?

(FL warmup , then FL work sets , then , sPL warmup then , sPL work sets , etc) 

 

Till now , i have done the former .

Itamar sha'ashuaS

The first one.

chuchodani

I think it depends on you preference. I tend to warm up specifically before each element and before the workout I do a limbering.

Rahul

OK , now we need to definitely find out the Official answer ! :huh:

Cole Dano

It's completely by preference and can also vary depending on what progression you are working.

 

For example I may do all core and mobility warm ups at the beginning of a session, but will still want to do some row variations to warm up right before working pulls.

Murray Truelove

While we're at it can we clarify what is meant by 21/15/9, obviously this works for the 15r template but what about the rest?

Cole Dano

They are warm up reps not mastery templates, so there is no need for them to exactly follow the same reps. 

 

I'm not 100% sure why Coach choose 21r vs 20r or 9r vs 10r but I look at the 21/15/9 scheme as lets gently and progressively warm up.  

 

So lets walk through a possible scenario working within F1 -

Say you're working HBP/PE6

First warm up set 21 reps, it's something pretty easy for you by now, just to get the joints moving an easy set of HBP/PE1 

Then an intimidate set, obvious choice here is HBP/PE2 for 15r

Then a more specific or more intense set, e.g. 9r of HBP/PE5.

 

If the step of the progression you are working doesn't have a good choice for 21r then jump down something you can handle for 15r and so on.

vinca_minor

Look where 15 and 9 sit on the 15r progression: block 3 mastery and block 2 mastery, respectively. The difference is 6 reps, which if you add that to 15, you get 21.

So, extrapolating, 5r warmup would be 7/5/3, 60s warmup would be 84s/60s/36s, etc.

Jon Douglas

I have a certain amount I do each training day (run, shoulder (p)rehab, straight arm prep, wrists, leg series, HLLs). I call that general, then onto specific depending on the day. I do a high-med-low rep warmup for each element, but try to combine a couple; say slow FL pulls for FL/RC, PPP+ with static for HBP/PL in addition to another exercise or two for each. Keep it quick, keep it appropriate intensity, don't be a warmup hero :)

Alessandro Mainente

Take the last element you have mastered for all the progression coupled with its IM .

Perform the mastery reps approximately doubled.

All the exercises in a row.

For example you did 5x15 push up? do 30 pushup

You did 5x5 pullup? do 10 pullups.

Ryan Bailey

When reviewing Coach's Foundation Course Introduction material, he gives the 15 rep (HBP/PE1) and 9 rep (HBP/PE4) warm up example, which is an approximate repetition count for a mastery set. With 21 reps being the 40% increase of the 15 rep template, I wanted to ask the following question.  In a situation where someone completes the mastery number of reps after 11 weeks, example Scapular Shrugs sPL/PE1 for 5x15, yet does not master Swivel Hips, does anyone move up the volume of scapular shrugs towards 5x21, while continuing to work towards mastery of Swivel Hips?  If so, the warm up could eventually be "21" for Scapular Shrugs. 

Jon Douglas
Ryan Bailey said:

When reviewing Coach's Foundation Course Introduction material, he gives the 15 rep (HBP/PE1) and 9 rep (HBP/PE4) warm up example, which is an approximate repetition count for a mastery set. With 21 reps being the 40% increase of the 15 rep template, I wanted to ask the following question.  In a situation where someone completes the mastery number of reps after 11 weeks, example Scapular Shrugs sPL/PE1 for 5x15, yet does not master Swivel Hips, does anyone move up the volume of scapular shrugs towards 5x21, while continuing to work towards mastery of Swivel Hips?  If so, the warm up could eventually be "21" for Scapular Shrugs. 

This is straightforward for exercises like scap shrugs; I would expect pretty much everyone that has 5x15 to have 1x21 without any strain. It has been raised before as trying to move forward with the three exercises preceding the current element being raised to 21/15/9; this rapidly becomes a hell of a bigger ask than Foundation level conditioning as you proceed through F3.

Use your discretion on which exercises should be build to 21 reps, or whether this is spending your effort chasing side goals and taking energy from the focus :)