Hi all.
I know that Jefferson Curls are an higly esteemed exercise by many gymnastic trainers and bodyweight training enthusiasts on the web.
I myself have experienced their benefits by letting me reach my max ROM in lesser sets (I typically need 4-5 set to reach my current max ROM for the pike at the end of the training, while only 2-3 if I do Jefferson Curls before static stretching).
Anyway I have often asked to personal trainers what did they think about this exercise. I would like to clarify that they all have a lot of experience (who more who less) in their field but not in the bodyweight/gymnastic training.
To make it short, what I was always told is that jefferson curls is surely a great exercise for competitive athlets and for whom that few centimeters of pike further may be the difference in a competition. But for amatorials athets the risk of bulges isn't compensated by the flexibility you would get.
What do you say about it? Is the risk of bulges really so high, even with correct form?