This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Dislocates

Started by RomanJ, August 30, 2015 · 4 Replies · 268 Views

RomanJ
I've been doing the shoulder dislocates using a firm wooden stick (no extra weight) for a couple of months now. I'm down to 60 cm between the thumbs using a regular pull-up grip. My shoulders are approximately 50 cm wide. My dislocates with the dorsal grip are at the same width (60 cm), but it takes a little more effort strength-wise to complete 10 good reps.

 

I'm wondering at this point if it's better for me to continue narrowing the grip to shoulder width (50 cm) without extra weight, or if I should add some weight and start with a wide grip again. The recommendations on the forum from "continue to shoulder width" to "shoulder width plus one hand width".

 

My background: I started with F1/H1 at the beginning of 2015. Progress has been very slow so far, mostly due to lack of strength-endurance and poor hip and thoracic mobility. I haven't mastered any of the F1 PEs yet. I'm stuck at week 9 with most of them. I'm doing  better with free handstand (PE2 week 9), but strength-endurance is holding me back here as well. In April I added all three stretch courses to my workout and cut back on the F1/H1 work for recovery reasons. I do F1/H1 exercises now once a week in the the F7 format in one session. Between the F7 sessions which are usually a week +2 days apart from each other I will do the stretch sessions plus H1.
~Atticus
RomanJ said:

 

I've been doing the shoulder dislocates using a firm wooden stick (no extra weight) for a couple of months now. I'm down to 60 cm between the thumbs using a regular pull-up grip. My shoulders are approximately 50 cm wide. My dislocates with the dorsal grip are at the same width (60 cm), but it takes a little more effort strength-wise to complete 10 good reps.
 
I'm wondering at this point if it's better for me to continue narrowing the grip to shoulder width (50 cm) without extra weight, or if I should add some weight and start with a wide grip again. The recommendations on the forum from "continue to shoulder width" to "shoulder width plus one hand width".
 
 

I would say that you're at mastery width for the shoulder dislocates. You should consider adding some weight, maybe by adding 5 lbs, and see how that goes.

RomanJ

Thanks for the support!

 

I'll increase the weight to 1,2 kg + dowel and start with a wider grip again.

 

As far as I understand it it's very easy to overload your joints and tendons with these. Therefore I prefer to take it slowly with the dislocates.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

I also have a question. Is shoulder width measured from left joint to another or from left shoulder skin surface to the right?

Alessandro Mainente

Shoulders dislocates MUST be approached with at least 2 kg. a wooden stick does not improve significantly your shoulders girdle strength because you are not moving more than your arms weight. 

 

Vytautas Pilkauskas: from the lateral delt to lateral delt.