This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE2 Question

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, August 28, 2015 · 2 Replies · 101 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, the more I work with this element the more I realize how (insert expletive) difficult it is to twist my torso over to parallel while simultaneously keeping my lower obliques engaged and stationary, not allowing it to rise up as opposite oblique comes down. I figure this is a result of biomechanic shortcut since my body currently lacks the sufficient range of motion to twist that much with ease. To my question, in trying to keep the lower oblique engaged and stationery I feel some intense tension in my glute which bordered on shaking come the final set. Is this appropriate muscle engagement? Basically, my whole lower side from up to the lat through the obliques and down into the glute (maybe the medialis?) are activating in order to maintain stability and to stay stationary throughout the movement. It became pretty intense on sets 3 or 4. This could just be my body adjusting and that this is both normal and expected to have glute activation. But since the SL progressions are predominantly oblique focused I just wanted to know if I should put my emphasis on keeping the glutes engaged (as they helped keep my obliques from rising) or if I should simply tense the obliques harder, grinning and bearing it through and through.

 

Obviously, I could post a form check, but I'm not so much concerned with my 'form' as of yet because I know I'm not going low enough nor doing so with enough ease of motion. So, any clarification on this is appreciated. If not, I'll continue to tinker with trial and error until I get it right.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Anybody?!

sean

I'm working on these myself so for what its worth I find I can't do the required twist unless I have the entire length braced or I can't hold position. I feel the same intesnse muscular activation after a few sets so I would think this is normal until the required strength is developed. I would guess that perhaps your glutes repsonse may be the result of oblique fatigue and/or abdutor fatigue maybe since the inside foot is pushing down against the ground for stablility on the weight bearing side. Try doing an iso hold against a wall with the same side foot maybe. if you feel the same muscular response in the glute then we know where the weakness is. Not sure if this makes sense, it's a guess on my part... GB coach to the rescue!!