This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Kung Fu + foundation

Started by Systemic, August 27, 2015 · 4 Replies · 145 Views

Systemic

I recently started going to kung fu sessions and we do a lot of push up variations (jumping push ups, clapping push ups, wrist push ups, etc.) and handstand walks (which I'm terrible at)

 

I am wondering if this will interfere with my foundation training. I have 4 sessions per week (Saturday/Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday) for Kung Fu and I have 4 Foundation sessions (Saturday/Monday/Wednesday/Friday)

 

My foundation sessions usually last between 20-30 minutes or sometimes less. And Kung Fu is 45-60 minutes. (Saturday 2 hours).

 

Should I tone down foundation to 3 times a week? or is this fine?

Jeremy Huston

3 days a week is probably good, but the only way to find out is to try it.  If Kung Fu only does pushups for strength work, I'd at least skip HBP progressions on Saturdays.

Jon Douglas

I'd probably try to your training sessions on the same four days, and take it fairly easy on the other days.

korija

Most likely it will

Wolf with one Ear

It can probably be managed.  Make sure to keep an eye on recovery.  I would try to get my HBP and Straddle Pl. in before doing other push-ups, but otherwise, the average martial arts conditioning in class will not be too intense.  I did Shotokan practice near daily, with strength training with weights, when I was a student.  I was able to maintain higher volume of total work in my 20's.  I also had time to do it all, which I don't have now.