I've decided to write a topic about my diet so that I can get some feedback and clear some of the doubts that I have.
I've been counting my calories for almost two years now, using the app MyFitnessPal. It's a really simple way to know exactly what macronutrients you're getting on a daily. I eat around 1.6 g/kg of bw of protein, a little less then 1g/kg of bw of fats and the rest of my calories come from carbs. Now, since I maintain at around 3000 kcal, that's quite a fair amount of carbs.
I'm progressively cleaning up my diet trying to stay away from processed foods, added sugars. I'm also experimenting with a dairy free diet (with the exception of one "cheat" pizza every week).
But is counting macros really necessary? I've just come back from my holidays and not a single macro was counted. That doesn't mean that I ate "junk foods" all the time though. I now find that I enjoy eating food more if I don't break it down to numbers. The problem is that when I don't monitor this stuff I end up eating a lot less food (crazy, eh?) and so struggle to maintain my weight, which is my goal at the moment. How do you guys manage your diet without counting macros?
Also, I often see photos from GB people and their diet looks a lot like a paleo. Now to my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong, this is not my field of expertise) paleo is pretty low carb. How can you hit your maintainence calories eating so little carbs? Are you supposed to eat more (healthy) fats?
Sorry about the long and confusing post, but that's what I currently am regarding my nutrition: very confused!
Thanks to anyone who decide to chime in ![]()