This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist Push Up clarification (WP PE1)

Started by Tyler Strange, August 26, 2015 · 4 Replies · 91 Views

Tyler Strange

Looking for some clarification on the wrist position for the Wrist Push Up PE elements.  Doing them where I get 90 degrees of flexion (wrists in contact with wall/mat at bottom of rep) feels fairly easy - all the way up through the PE4 position.  After more closely examining the course video however, it appears that the wrists are meant to stay off of the working surface just a little bit.  This feels much harder to me and seems to be more effective.  Which one is correct?  Searching the forum hasn't revealed a clear answer.  Maybe I'm overthinking this....  just want to make sure I'm doing them correctly.

 

For clarity, the video below shows 2 reps with the wrists going all the way to the mat (full flexion), and I keep my wrists slightly off the mat for reps 3 and 4.  Thanks!

 

Alessandro Mainente

The wrist extension should be done by using your fingers as a lever to completely lift the wrist from the wall , so not attempt to move your body, push with your fingers on the wall.

Tyler Strange

Thanks! Using the fingers as the base to pry away from the wall is my understanding, also. I guess my question has more to do with the bottom position and whether or not my wrists should be in contact with the mat.

Jon Douglas

I think this one solves itself when you move to the floor and there is more weight on your hands.

Tyler Strange

Jon - I actually realized I had a question when I got to the floor (pe4, actually) and realized that while I was bearing the weight through the skeletal structure of my forearm on a fully flexed wrist, the course videos appear to support the position muscularly with the wrist held just off the mat. When I went back and tried holding my wrists just off the mat it was significantly harder - I could not complete mastery of pe2 using that position. I am assuming that I was doing it incorrectly thus far, and was hoping someone could clarify. I'm happy to move on past pe4 on this, but as I don't have any spare wrists, I figured it wouldn't hurt to double check that I wasn't messing it up.