Iron cross question

Started by nbraun198, September 7, 2009 · 8 Replies · 3,326 Views

nbraun198

I have recently constructed a pulley system and i am going to get a harness in two days. I can put weight on each side of my ring frame and it reduces my weight. I don't have the harness yet, but i tried it out by just connecting it to my belt loops and i was able to hold an iron cross with only 20lbs of help. I didn't find it too hard. I would be able to hold it for like 20 seconds, I would imagine. I didn't try with less weight.

So my question is, with 20lbs of help and being able to hold it for 20s, how far do you think i am from doing the iron cross without any assistance.

(its 10lbs help per arm for a TOTAL of 20lbs)

Thanks.

Blairbob

3-5 months?

nbraun198

Thanks for the reply! I am just looking for any input from people in the field really. Sounds good!

braindx
nbraun198 said:
Thanks for the reply! I am just looking for any input from people in the field really. Sounds good!

Harness doesn't tell much actually.

What angle can you go down to in a hold?

You are of course holding with straight arms?

What's your height/weight?

Need to know all of those to make a good guess.

Also, if you're doing it on short strap cables, it will take extra time to get it on an olympic standard rings set (if that's your ultimate goal).

nbraun198

The straps are only like 6 feet long. I can't really do better than that, for now.

Also, i believe that i am 5'8 and maybe a half, and i weigh 135 in the morning, without eating lunch or dinner. Without the harness, it varies. When i am tired i will make it to like 45 degrees. When i am warmed up and fresh, most like 70 i believe. Of course it is straight arms as well. I am very anal when it comes to form, haha.

braindx
nbraun198 said:
The straps are only like 6 feet long. I can't really do better than that, for now.

Also, i believe that i am 5'8 and maybe a half, and i weigh 135 in the morning, without eating lunch or dinner. Without the harness, it varies. When i am tired i will make it to like 45 degrees. When i am warmed up and fresh, most like 70 i believe. Of course it is straight arms as well. I am very anal when it comes to form, haha.

Hmmm, 20 degrees to go. You can probably achieve this within 2-4 months if you train it correctly.

If you want to get it faster you can do work similar to grease the groove. That's how I got my neural strength up to get the movement quickly. As long as the joints hold up well you can work it 5-6 times a week at fairly low volume with sets spread out. Will build up the strength pretty quickly.

nbraun198

I'm sorry, I don't really know what you mean by "grease the groove."

Razz

GTG is a system popularized by Pavel where you do sets all troughout the day so you can have a high frequency with a medium intensity. for example doing a set of pullups every time you walk up and down the stairs.

nbraun198

Thanks for the reply and the help. I will try this out!