post workout stretching

Started by KevinH, August 26, 2015 · 4 Replies · 1,982 Views

KevinH

My questions revolve around effective and efficiency. Apologies for repeated question but I using a phone and searching has me going blind from the small screen. Hopefully I'll get to a computer in a week or so.

I need additional stretching in my life.

1. Is there additional benefit from stretching immediately after the workout? Or are the best benefits found in doing the stretching on the 'rest day'?

2. If there are additional benefits AND you could only add 15 minutes to your workout what would you do? Short online class or make up your own?

Itamar sha'ashuaS

I can't really tell what would be better for the second question.. I'm doing the stretch courses and it's great.

As for the first question, the benefit of stretching right after your workout is that you're already warmed up and ready to stretch. When you stretch on your rest day you need to warm up just for the stretching.. 

Kopavski

I also thought on doing stretch on rest days, but now timewise is for me better to extend a little bit workout and then have rest days really rest days and enjoy doing some other stuff, so its not everyday something to do with body.  maybe on rest days some limbering, stretching with bands but nothing serious. 

dmcmanam

Yes stretch after and yes stretch on your rest day.  If you only have 15 minutes to add to a workout be sure to address your own personal weaknesses whatever they may be and consider training until the workout is done not until the clock expires if you become more serious about your progress.

KevinH

dmcmanam

I always train until the main workout is finished and I am serious about my progress. Not sure where you got that information from. There is no "if" to it.

I allot one hour of training time. Warm up and workout are being fully completed in 45 minutes or less.

The question is how to spend the other 25% of my training time.