This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bent arm Chin Hold Question

Started by Jesus Candal, August 22, 2015 · 5 Replies · 297 Views

Jesus Candal

Hi everyone,

So this website has a little self-assessment with hollow body, arch body, and chin holds that I tried out to see how I fared. The Chin-up hold said to do 3x60 secs, which ended up being a bit tougher than I expected. What kind of rest period am I supposed to use to "pass" this little assessment (it doesn't really say)?

 

I regularly work on weighted pull-ups, but a friend following Foundation casually mentioned to try out the assessment to see if maybe my pulling is deficient and that I should get 3x60s before continuing my weighted pull work. With 3 minutes of rest (which is what I'm used to resting for strength training), I was able to manage, but idk if that's a pass. Any thoughts?

 

I apologize if it's a very silly question, it was just curiosity!

Ravn

In F1, you're supposed to do 5x60 secs, with only a mobility drill for rest, which amounts to roughly 30-40 seconds between sets. Many people struggle with mastering that one, but it's doable.

Jesus Candal

Oh whoah that'd be an incredible display of endurance and mental fortitude hehe. Although I guess this pre-req in Foundation is more for those interested in gymnastics strength work, or maybe gymnasts themselves?

For the more casual trainee not interested in gymnastics, but still wanting to build a good bodyweight training base before takLing weighted Chins, is there a less intense prerequisite with this hold?

Thanks for the help. I'm just curious since I've never seen the chin hold as a good measure of pulling preperadness.

Jon Douglas

My understanding of the chin hold, along with basic conditioning, is that the hold time is intended to fatigue smaller muscles to teach you to pull more efficiently, with your back. Plus of course having the guts to stay up there when it starts to suck ^_^

Alessandro Mainente
Jon Douglas said:

My understanding of the chin hold, along with basic conditioning, is that the hold time is intended to fatigue smaller muscles to teach you to pull more efficiently, with your back. Plus of course having the guts to stay up there when it starts to suck ^_^

nice point , the TUT provided on different elements has some basic ideas:

- improve the secondary muscles conditioning so that the future big muscles work will never stop due to little muscles fatigue

- provide the necessary conditioning accordingly with the % of fibers involved in a certain movement.

 

both factors contribute about the decision on "how much is necessary" for a certain element.

Jesus Candal

Umh interesting logic. I'd never heard of that before.

Well I think I'm not gonna complicate things. I don't feel like my arms or lats overpower me in the pull ups, I actually feel like they all get their fair share (even abs! ) when I go heavy. And I figure holding for 60 secs at least shows that the "little muscles" are prepared hehe. So I guess I'll just go back to my weighted work if I'm understanding correctly.

Thank you for the clarification!