This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPl/SE3 & open FL

Started by David Birchall, August 18, 2015 · 9 Replies · 319 Views

David Birchall

Thought I'd Mastered this but now I'm not so sure.  I hit the required reps and sets but when trying to move on to open PL, I couldn't stay in that position for more than about 2 seconds...

 

When I'm in the tuck, I can bring my knees in more than in the video and lean further forward.  This feels harder like this and it is what I would call, after looking online at some progressions a flat tuck planche.   

 

I found the same thing with open FL.  I can bring my knees further and flatten my back which feels like it should be next before going into single bent leg reps.

 

I kept my hips at shoulder height for the tPL however perhaps I have been doing it wrong?  Are my knees supposed to come behind my elbows - like 1-2" because that is where I end up if I do what I described above.

 

I'm going to work the flat tuck planche now I described anyway, should I do it for mastery 5*30 or just till I can get an open planche for 3*6, 5*6, 3*12 or something like that?  Same with FL, I need a progression inbetween.

 

 

sorry if that is disjointed/hard to read, I'll do a video at some point to show what I mean.

David Birchall

I'm 5'10 over 90kg too which might be why?

Gavin S

I think a video of your tuck planche will answer a few questions

David Birchall

These two images illustrate what I mean. Excuse the constipated look in the second haha got a lot of water retention from carb loading the past two dayspost-3032-0-77402900-1439975667_thumb.jppost-3032-0-29788600-1439975704_thumb.jp

David Birchall

How strange - I woke up this morning and thought I'd try open planche again.  I got just under 10s like this:

 

post-3032-0-00141100-1440061403_thumb.jp

 

I guess it must have just been a mental thing?  All I did this morning that was different was focus on depressing and protracting before I went into it, just with my arms out infront in the air while kneeling down, about 5 times imagining creating the tension as hard as I could but not actually creating the tension until I actually did it... Weird.

 

Found this very hard to balance and I think my hips are too high.  Also I feel like I need to straddle more but I keep thinking it's going to turn into a straddle-L.  I really need a mirror so I can see what the heck I'm doing while doing it instead of looking at my iPhone's video camera.  Any tips on form for this?  Could someone tell me if this is completely wrong or what I'm doing wrong/any cues?  

 

 

 I think I'll be able to start at 3*6s for this on Sunday to start the first microcycle.

 

Thanks,

 

David

Alessandro Mainente

I do not like the form, the open tuck should be done with protraction.

David Birchall

Thanks for your feedback.  I thought I was protracting which worries me.  I tried again today, this time really thinking about protracting and depressing.  I may have to do some weighted scap push ups or something  - am I not protracting far enough here?  It felt like as far as I could go :|

 

post-3032-0-26729300-1440167769_thumb.jp

LateStarter@46

It would be easier to see your scapulae if you took your top off whilst filming. Also try comparing with your protraction whilst standing. There's a good post somewhere with photos of Dillon demonstrating standing protection.

Alessandro Mainente

The big mistake is think that the hips opening could be achieved only if you arch a bit the lumbar spine.

You should AVOID lumbar spine arc.

David Birchall

Got it now thanks for that - I thought PL was an arched position. This really helps - I need to Protract and lean much more more to do it without arching and can't hold it like that for very long haha back to tuck PL it seems.