So, I have just diagnosed myself with an early stage of this disease, which makes me a little worried, since I'm evidently developing it quite early at age 39, meaning that it has plenty of time to progress until the point where my pinky and ring finger eventually becomes a hook or at least restricted in extension. Bummer, since, as everyone else on this forum, I care a great deal about maintaining my mobility as I grow older.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture
I am 99% sure my diagnosis is correct, as the symptoms are spot on, my father has it too (it's hereditary), and I have some other rheumatological co-indicators. It also appears to be more prevalent in climbers, which I am.
I have of course booked an appointment with my MD to confirm.
On the upside, I guess keeping the hand mobile by doing the H1 wrist prep 2-3 times per week can only be a good thing. Also, the colloquial name of the disease is 'viking hand'. So, I'm officially of viking heritage.
Questions:
Do any of you guys have any experience with this disease?
Apparently, the Danish healthcare system has a policy of only intervening once the disease has progressed to the point where reduced function occurs (a positive tabletop test). However, studies show that radiotherapy can have very good effect if used at early stages of the disease. Is that something I should be insisting about, when consulting my MD?