This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Meniscus damage holding me back

Started by Blair Norwood, August 18, 2015 · 4 Replies · 219 Views

Blair Norwood

So I have damaged meniscus in both my knees (saw a physio about one knee a few years ago so that's how I diagnosed it). It happened a few years ago working in a factory with repeated heavy (50-100kg) lifting through odd planes of motion. For the most part it doesn't bother me too much, but it flairs up every now and again after some physical strain (long hike/run/ bad squat session). But this weekend just gone I did some parkour and some jumps aggravated it. My landing was good, the drop was moderate but it was just too great an impact and one knee has flared up.

 

Currently once a week I do a knee series of twisting squats, inside squats and  skiers (mentioned on the Robb Wolf podcast). These seem to help  so I'm thinking of doing these 2-3 times per week (building up to it of course) I also do about 5 minutes of skipping per week (I really suck at skipping) and I was going to up this as well.

 

Questions:

 

Where should my focus be aimed? Twisting squats? Skipping? Endurance? Adding weight? etc

 

Should I add some jumping into my work out? And if so any suggestions on the progression?

 

Note: I have F1, and I'm up to the first exercise of F2 for the SLS (a friend gave me a sneak peak so I could move on while I save my money for F2, sorry Coach I will be buying F2 and the stretch series soon, had to be completely honest)

Moderators feel free to move this if its in the wrong place.

Cole Dano

We've had some great results with students doing the SLS iM's as a series. Naturally you may need to scale the movements so there is no pain, but you can just take a look at the iM's and turn them in to a mini-routine doing 10reps of each.

Mark Collins

Considering you have a historybof menscus damage I would wait until you finish F4 for the leg series before worrying about jumping. I would put Parkour on hold as well. It is high load and unpredictable, which is the lat thing you need for the meniscus.

Blair Norwood

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

 

I read your advice and did really appreciate it. I haven't done anymore parkour jumps, and I have been working on the IM's in a series, however I didn't stop back squatting.

I was on my 4th set of 5 at 100kg, first rep of the set felt really bad, second rep was no better so I stopped right there. I think I have to back right off the heavy squats as well. I do the squats with a friend of mine and I might continue to do weighted squats with him, but cut the weight right back until it feels super easy and just stay there until my knees are 100%

I might try around the 60kg (less than 50% my 1RM) mark and do SLS PE2 and PE3 in between sets. I hope this is light enough to cause no issues, while giving enough moment to speed up the healing.

Mark Collins

I would do the SLS PE3 with the 5x10 template. Then after that do your light squats.