This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What to do when failing the duration/reps or form of a set in F1?

Started by richilincez, August 15, 2015 · 6 Replies · 247 Views

richilincez

Hello,

 

I am starting F1 + H1. 

I read in H1 that one can fail the workout either by failing a set time (e.g. not completing the time of the hold) or not being able to complete the entire workout (running out of time).  The instruction advise, in the first case, to rest a while and RETRY the repetition till one accomplishes it, or runs out of workout time.

 

What about F1? Let's say that I fail the allotted number of reps in an set, or lose my form. Should I rest and try again till I get all the reps and sets for the exercise done (or run out of time for the day's wod) or should I stop the exercise completely for the session and try again the next session?

 

Thank you

 

R

Dylan Robertson

Rest a little bit and then continue from where you left off at that progression.

Ex. You aim for 4x9 Oman exercise and it goes like , 9, 9, 9, 7. Rest about 5-20 seconds (depending on when you feel you can finish the set) and go ahead and finish the set. If it happens in the middle of an exercise (2nd or 3rd set, then do what I just suggested and keep going until you finish all sets and reps)

Sensei JP

The answer is ... it depends. :)

 

If I am two reps away from finishing my last set and just run out of gas, I often take a break, get a breather and the do the last two reps.  Finish on a high note/

 

If it's one of the first few sets, though, I completely stop the set.  For example, let's say I'm aiming for 4x8 of something.  I do 8, 8, only 6.  I don't do two more.  I do my mobility and then try the final set.  If I get 8, great.  If not, I'm done.  At this point, I'm done enough to create a response in my body.  Doing more won't make me stronger, and it may even make me weaker, as it will take longer to recover post-workout.

 

For that day, I failed 4x8.  I will try it again next workout.  If I pass it, great.  If I don't, next workout I will scale down.  Maybe I'll do 5x6, which is more sets but 2 fewer reps.  If I can do 5x6, I can probably get 4x8.  If I can, great.  If not, I keep plugging away, making little changes.

 

Really, the best thing anyone can say is listen to your body.  When you failed the set, do you have anything left to do more, or are you exhausted?  Again, the goal of each workout is to come back next time stronger, not necessarily to hit a target rep scheme.  The more I train, the more I've erred on the side of caution and stop sets early instead of 'making up reps' for them.  I think it helps.

Alan Tseng

Based on my personal experiences, it's best to stop the set once tempo or form is broken

Ryan Bailey

I usually stopped the set once the amount of reps was not able to be completed, however, last session I changed this approach since the 3rd attempt at the 3rd micro cycle of Hinge Rows.  For example I was trying to get 4 x 15.  I did 15, 15, 13, 2, 5, 5, 5.  Sounds pathetic, but in the last 4 sets I felt improved control of the motion, even though it felt like my muscles were crushed on the last rep.  Is this approach wrong?

Thanks,

Ryan

richilincez

Thank you to everybody