Stretching courses supercharged my fundamentals

Started by RF_Guy, August 14, 2015 · 13 Replies · 3,508 Views

RF_Guy

I was really surprised how much progress in foundations I have made since I started following all three stretching courses. I was stuck at SLS IM2 for a year but passed mastery very easily just recently after stretching few weeks.
It seems like HS and SLS benefited the most, but I can see unusually fast progress everywhere: FL, Mn, RC, HBP, S.Pl even though I typically do every GST just once a week. Heck, I even start believing that I might be able to do Manna one day ;)

Jon Douglas

:) Very cool. .

Similar bits and pieces; strongly helped my shoulder impingement rehab, ankle stiffness disappeared so cold SLS are easy, and surprising lower traps improvement due to some pancake elements.

Stretch seems to have cleared paths for me to gain strength at a faster rate; makes me curious as to how much I may have gotten in my own way prior to this.

Jon Douglas

Actually a particular benefit for me has been learning how to deliberately shift the stretch in shoulder flexion to where it needs to go via activation and adjustment of the body. This has been particularly noticable in HS, my line is streets better than it was.

Zen Warrior

Was there something in particular that helped with SLS? I.E. Which stretch series? 

Despite doing Crossfit for years and having a (passable) single leg squat already I can't seem to do SLS/iM2 at all. I've been doing skiers to try and get more on the mobility side, but if the stretch series really helped I want to get on that. I'm thinking the front split would be the most helpful.

Jon Douglas
Zen Warrior said:

Was there something in particular that helped with SLS? I.E. Which stretch series? 

Despite doing Crossfit for years and having a (passable) single leg squat already I can't seem to do SLS/iM2 at all. I've been doing skiers to try and get more on the mobility side, but if the stretch series really helped I want to get on that. I'm thinking the front split would be the most helpful.

 

The ankle elements from the front split series made this happen pretty quickly for me. But it depends on what your particular needs are; if it's groin etc then middle split may be more helpful initially. Hard to pick a favourite series, they're all quite distinct.

Gabriel Nunez

Zen Warrior, if you are having trouble doing SLS/PE2>iM2 then figure out how you can do the mobility exercise with some type of modification until you can do at least one correct rep. Start with negatives at first, and then try using your hands on the floor or on a chair to work up to being able to do it with just your legs. Progressions, even those not introduced, to the exercises provided for us can help prepare us for some of the elements that just seem impossible. The stretching course is also highly recommended! ;D

MattRobbo
Jon Douglas said:

The ankle elements from the front split series made this happen pretty quickly for me. But it depends on what your particular needs are; if it's groin etc then middle split may be more helpful initially. Hard to pick a favourite series, they're all quite distinct.

Jon, I have chronically bad ankle ROM. I a have spent hours trying every mob, stretch, distraction etc I can find, from Kelly Starret to all sorts of other sources. I'm a sports therapist, so have a good working knowledge of working with soft tissue etc,

. I'm genuinely at my wits end with trying to sort my squat out. Is the front split series going to succeed where everything else has failed? I'm just reluctant to spend cash on something that isn't going to get fixed. Any advice from your experience would be great

Mark Collins
MattRobbo said:

Jon, I have chronically bad ankle ROM. I a have spent hours trying every mob, stretch, distraction etc I can find, from Kelly Starret to all sorts of other sources. I'm a sports therapist, so have a good working knowledge of working with soft tissue etc,

. I'm genuinely at my wits end with trying to sort my squat out. Is the front split series going to succeed where everything else has failed? I'm just reluctant to spend cash on something that isn't going to get fixed. Any advice from your experience would be great

Even if it does not fix your squat it will help your body in ways that is well worth the money. Most people will spend more money on junk food in the next month than you would on the stretch course.

MattRobbo
Mark Collins said:

Even if it does not fix your squat it will help your body in ways that is well worth the money. Most people will spend more money on junk food in the next month than you would on the stretch course.

I've taken the plunge. Just having a look at the vid now. Looks like exactly what I need. cheers

Jon Douglas
MattRobbo said:

I've taken the plunge. Just having a look at the vid now. Looks like exactly what I need. cheers

Hope it tips the balance for you :)

Vytautas Pilkauskas

I am very interested to hear if it helped you with your FL, HBP and even sPL progressions since you started to follow TB stretch course. The reason I did not buy it yet is that my TB and shoulder girdle strenght are quite well maintained through years (unlike hips) but now I started to notice that these particular elements lag behind and progress with them is not as consistent and fast as with the rest of Foundation elements :)

Mark Collins

I was most surprised with how the shoulder extension improvement helped my korean and russian dips. Being more mobile means your strength is not wasted on overcoming your stiffness.

Jon Douglas
Mark Collins said:

Being more mobile means your strength is not wasted on overcoming your stiffness.

Well put :)

Zen Warrior

The Front Split series is helping a lot with my ankle flexibility which seems to be one of the biggest things pushing me forward/holding me back. Yeah if the other two work as well as this one I will be happy.