Would it be detrimental to do an extra set or two of the vertical shin exercises when I do my weekly front split routine? (For example, in the middle split video Coach mentions that it would be okay to do extra sets of the isometric split exercise). I feel like my quads are much tighter relative to my hamstrings and calves, and that I might benefit from extra sets (or maybe longer sets). Any thoughts?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Are extra sets okay?
Started by Jeff G, August 13, 2015 · 5 Replies · 220 Views
I'm also curious about this. In all other areas progress has been stellar, but this damn vertical shin is laughing at my granite quads/hips every week ;-)
If you want to intensify the vertical shin stretch squeeze your glutes as much as possible (you might be surprised how hard this is), this stops you cheating the movement.
This doesn't answer your question regarding additional sets but you might not need any if you hit the stretch more intensely.
I agree with Murray. Last Monday when doing this stretch, I really focused on the glutes and the pelvic tilt and the following day I had sore quads which basically never happens. I equate this with having done the exercise better, which obivously resulted in a higher intensity, hence the DOMS.
Otherwise, Coach in Middle Split series says if you need additional sets of anything, do them at the end of the series. So go through as usual, and after your 2 minute standing pike, you can add sets of vertical shin.
A word of caution: Three weeks ago I did exactly what Murray suggests. It was nothing new; I had been using glute tension and PPT since march, but this time, I felt something give in the hip flexor region. It was painful and disturbing and I had to go easy on the stretching in that region for a while.
Bro said:I agree with Murray. Last Monday when doing this stretch, I really focused on the glutes and the pelvic tilt and the following day I had sore quads which basically never happens. I equate this with having done the exercise better, which obivously resulted in a higher intensity, hence the DOMS.
Otherwise, Coach in Middle Split series says if you need additional sets of anything, do them at the end of the series. So go through as usual, and after your 2 minute standing pike, you can add sets of vertical shin.
Generally this. A couple of sets is probably going to be beneficial if it's a problem area for you. However, problem areas are also where you potentially cause trouble
Less is more and a single intense set is safe; don't be afraid to step back on the intensity or time if things feel a bit off during this, or any supplemental work for that matter.