This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Resting sore elbows

Started by jonah adam, August 13, 2015 · 2 Replies · 178 Views

jonah adam

Hi guys,

 

I started to notice some soreness in the tendons around my elbows recently so I've decided to take a week to two weeks off of Foundation 1 to let that cool down. I was wondering what I should do once I return to training, i.e. should I start back on lower progressions to re-familiarize myself and my body with the movements/positions, or is that not necessary? 

 

Thanks!

Chris Garay

Hi Jonah,

 

Good of you to listen to your body and be cautious when an injury might be around the corner. That said, you can probably continue to train movements that do not bother your elbow (lower body, core, flexibility, etc.). Oftentimes low-intensity movements actually help the rehabilitation process more so than pure rest.

 

When you return to training, only do pain-free movements. That might mean you have to take a step back in certain ways, but it's better to take care of it properly now then have it flare up even worse later (speaking from experience). Good luck!

 

Best,

Chris

Jon Douglas

On occasion, especially after moving up to unfamiliar progressions, this is to be expected. I got it after a couple months of first getting into rope climbs for distance. As long as nothing is acute and you are not experiencing a noticable drop in strength, rest as needed to consolidate your adaptation and keep moving forward :) if it returns or persists over time, then it is time to examine in more detail, so do monitor it!