This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deadhangs?

Started by vannybute, August 10, 2015 · 3 Replies · 204 Views

vannybute

I was wondering if it would be beneficial and recommended for my son to do deadhangs with his normal GB workouts. They seem to help his grip strength quite a lot, and he has been seeing some gains in hinge rows and forearm strength.

 

Also, do you have any advice for programming deadhangs? Should we just apply the templates for 5x60s, then go on from there?

 

Thanks,

GenericGymnast

Alexander Egebak

Deadhangs are more or less a part of foundation already so I would say no need to "program" them in. They can be done in the end of the workout as a small mobility set though

john_c

I do the split foundation workouts and pair the deadhang as a mobility pair with a bridge progression at the end of my 3 exercise training session and currently do 15s at the moment, nothing too challenging, maybe go up to 30s at some point but Foundation is my focus. I have to be careful as overuse injuries tend to creep up on me.

Chris Garay

Yes, dead-hangs are a later iM in the RC series. As such, they should only be "played with" and not full-on "trained." Keep the duration low, and only play with it at the end of a workout. That said, unless your son has elbow tendon issues, there should be very little downside to adding hanging drills into his training.

Best,

Chris