I'm running into a problem with my hands that's very new to me. I've looked through the forum and haven't been able to find any other topics about it, sorry in advance If I'm posting about something that's already been covered.
I had surgery at the beginning of this summer (unrelated to my wrists) and jumped into training probably much more hastily than i should have, no surprise, within a matter of weeks I was developing some chronic pain in my wrist. As a result I started using coach's wrist pre-hab series just about everyday before every workout and hand balancing session. The wrist pain began to subside almost immediately and with the help of occasionally icing and contrast baths my wrist pain has now almost entirely been eliminated. Unfortunately, in it's place I'm having problems with what the title of the post suggests. A week or two ago the pain was mainly on the back of my left hand and closer to the wrist, and now It's solely on the back of my right hand up near the knuckle of my middle and ring finger. It's only really aggravated when pressure is applied to my wrist while it's bent back (like in a handstand), or if i actively try to pull my wrist back into such a position.
So apart from the obvious measures that I should be taking: rest/ice/wrist pre-hab, I'm curious if anyone has dealt with similar pain and If it can be attributed to anything in particular. I find it surprising that hand balancing could actually be putting much strain on the backs of my hands, especially since the pain isn't located on my wrist. My first inclination was to blame wrist push-ups because unless I'm mistaken, and i very well could be, I think they're the only movement that I do which puts much real stress on the area I'm having trouble with. But considering how highly Coach Sommer recommends them and the fact that I've started out very cautiously performing them on my knees with significant piking of my hips that seems highly unlikely.