This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Moving to Houston

Started by Whitney Davis, August 7, 2015 · 13 Replies · 2,140 Views

Whitney Davis

Hi all- I'm moving to Houston in 3 months, and will DEARLY miss my current gymnastics bodies training location (Forma in Stroud, UK!). Does anyone know of a local GB in/around Houston that I'll be able to train with others? I don't want this deterring my progression and I find it much easier to train with others towards the same goals!

 

Thanks for your help!

 

Whitney

Jason Dupree

If he doesn't see this, you should pm Nash. He would know. No affiliates in Texas that I know of but I think he mentioned a yoga place that does some GST stuff.

Coach Sommer

Nash is an excellent resource.

I would also recommend CrossFit Behemoth. They have recently started the process toward becoming a GB affiliate; although admittedly they still have quite a bit of training to complete.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Whitney Davis

Thanks Jason and Coach Sommer! I've gotten in touch with both Nash and Xfit Behemoth, hoping something will pan out. Hopefully one day in the near(ish) future Houston will have an affiliate as it is such a big city!

 

Thanks for the leads, will definitely keep up the work :-)

TimWood

I am down at Cosmic CrossFit down in Pearland (south Houston.) http://cosmic-fitness.com/ Mikeand I went to the Foundations course and have been working through the foundations and incorporating things within our class warm ups.  I've been working through it with my girlfriend as well.  But like you said, Houston is a big city, so depends on where you settle down at. 

 

I would honestly love another person to bounce information off with locally! 

Terrell Pappas

From Houston. I'm 8 days into foundations. Really hating how slow it is. But I'm sucking it up. I have a gym membership but I am starting to think that's not for me anymore. I Would like to find a GST friendly gym. Does anybody know of one?

 

Warm Regards,

Terrell Pappas

Stephen Nevins

Hey y'all,  my name is Stephen and I'm looking for a GST affiliate near the woodlands in North Houston.  Anyone near by? 

Douglas Descant
On 6/1/2016 at 6:31 PM, Terrell Pappas said:

From Houston. I'm 8 days into foundations. Really hating how slow it is. But I'm sucking it up. I have a gym membership but I am starting to think that's not for me anymore. I Would like to find a GST friendly gym. Does anybody know of one?

 

Warm Regards,

Terrell Pappas

Hey Terrell, 

The only gymnastics facility that I know of that offer any type of adult gymnastics training is Houston Gymnastics Academy.   

http://www.houstongymnastics.com/

I too am looking for some face to face instruction so I'm hoping the CF gym Coach Sommer is referring to is able to become a GB affiliate. My daughters go to Cypress Academy. I've asked them about adult classes(I've certainly given them enough money) and they said they used to but someone got all butt hurt about a hang nail. Long story short, they didn't want to risk the liability. Go fig.  

 

Carlo Romero

I am also looking for qualified GST coaches and/or fellow GST trainees in this great city of over 4 million people. I see this post has not been updated in sometime, and I wanted to check in if there are any updates for training resources in Houston, Texas. I have been training in Foundation 1 for about a year, and as much as I would love to travel to Denver to get fine tuned, it would great to interact regularly with fellow GST athletes meeting up in Houston.

Whitney Davis, did you ever find a good training home in Houston? I just sent Crossfit Behemoth a note but would greatly appreciate hearing what you may have discovered (even finding a gym with stall bars would be a helpful!).

Carlo

Carlo Romero

Thanks Luke, I will keep looking in Houston, and I hope to find a place worthwhile to post on this forum. I definitely could use more community interaction in my GB Pro+ training, especially with the plateaus and as the compensations unravel . . . how to train / adjust through the weaknesses revealed. Any other suggestions on remote training support (I realize I have not taken advantage of the Digital Coaching on the forum) until I can make it to Denver are appreciated.

Luke Searra

Carlo definitely take advantage of digital coaching and make full use of the forum for movement critiques and community.

Carlo Romero
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, Douglas Descant said:

Hey Terrell, 

The only gymnastics facility that I know of that offer any type of adult gymnastics training is Houston Gymnastics Academy.   

http://www.houstongymnastics.com/

I too am looking for some face to face instruction so I'm hoping the CF gym Coach Sommer is referring to is able to become a GB affiliate. My daughters go to Cypress Academy. I've asked them about adult classes(I've certainly given them enough money) and they said they used to but someone got all butt hurt about a hang nail. Long story short, they didn't want to risk the liability. Go fig.  

 

For the benefit of those looking to train in Houston, Houston Gymnastics Academy does have a "masters level" adult class in the evenings, but it does not address fundamental strength, flexibility or mobility in a manner that Coach Sommer lays out in his programming. I tried to train there for a time and it seemed to be more for folks who already had a gymnastics background and wanted a quasi-open gym experience to work on skills / movements. So it may be helpful for folks who already have a foundation wanting access to GST equipment / skill training, but it didn't really cater to beginners . . . and the slow process of building GST conditioning. Just my two cents.

Justin Singer

I'd recommend checking out Mekanix Calisthenics Gym, located in Montrose.  http://www.mekanixhouston.com/   There is a tight knit community of athletes of various skill levels dedicated to body weight training.