It's been pretty well established that some people need more recovery than others, some thrive on doing exercises once a week or twice a week etc. Has anyone noticed they thrive on a certain schedule depending on what type of exercise they are doing? For instance, you could do strength work once a week and endurance work twice, or vice versa?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Recovery for strength vs endurance
Started by Jason Dupree, August 5, 2015 · 5 Replies · 278 Views
I thrive on Foundations three days a week with my first two Foundation workouts incorporating H1 and my third workout involving a stretch series. I intersperse my Foundation workouts with a HR run and a stretch series. It leaves Saturday and Sunday for complete recovery, gets my GST and stretching in, as well as aerobic cardio. I tried F7 and also doing Foundation 4 days a week, but I found that F7 just exhausted my glycogen stores and by the end of the workout I was ravenous and pretty burnt out via cortisol. 4-day foundations didn't allow me enough recovery between strength training days. But 3-days is best for me.
So,
M - F1/H1
Tu - HR run/FSs
W - F1/H1
Th - HR run/MSs
F - F1/TBs
Sat - Rest
Sun - Rest
So are you doing ABA, BAB for foundation?
I'm considering this:
M - FA, MSs
T - Cardio (2 miles)
W - FB, TBs
Th - Cardio
F - FA, FSs
S - Cardio
Sun - rest
Same thing every week. FA is MN, SLS, SL, and HS, things which for me are now more mobility and skill based, which I know would do great at 2x/week.
FB is HBP, RC, FL, sPL. These are things where mobility and skill/strength is more than adequate, but the endurance aspect is kicking my butt. I've been doing the 4 day split, but am considering this 1x/w on these for more recovery. I haven't been progressing on the exercises in FB for a while, but I have in FA. I guess I won't know how well it works until I try it.
Yes, I follow an A-B-A...B-A-B routine. Sure getting in each routine twice a week would be optimal, but that's not practical with it being a seven-day week. So, I do what I do and let time and hard, focused work handle the rest. Everything I'm doing has/is progressing. My shoulders are pretty bad and I've skipped back and forth on my abilities with them by overcommitting and trying on progression without adequate mastery of earlier elements. I've thus dialed it back and am starting most upper body elements at square one, however, my core strength and leg strength is steadily improving (even though I'm only on the second progression, it's been steady improvement). If you're not progressing you're not resting enough. Period. That is why I dropped back to three days a week, I also only do one run a week once in a while if I haven't slept well or if life gets in the way.
I am still in my first year and just starting to feel what Coach was talking about regarding low, medium, or high recovery. My first 12-wk cycle was F7 M-W-F with H1 on T-Th. I made crazy progress, and the learning curve was intense, but after the 12 weeks I sort of felt "I wonder if I can keep up this intensity". I did not exactly know what to expect so I kept pushing.
Currently, I do: 3-day training cycle ( as it rotates every other week )
M: FL, sPL, HBP, RC added Thoracic Bridge Stretch after
T: H1 added Front Split Stretch after
W: Rest
Th: SL, MN, SLS added Middle Split after
F: FL, sPL, HBP, RC with H1.
Saturday/Sunday: Rest
I feel like I am soaking this schedule up like a sponge, with a feeling like I have some more gas left in the tank. I am very careful on progression and not moving through elements fast as I have key areas I need to correct prior to moving on.
Because of feeling so good on the 3-day cycle, plugging in H1 for 2 days and 3 stretch series, I am toying with the idea of the following:
4-day cycle for Foundation 1 during M,T, Th, F with 3 of the days adding the stretch series immediately after.
H1 and some play mobility or movement in the morning on 2 days.
Glad to here what others are doing regarding schedules and learning what works for them. Sounds like you guys are plugging in cardio but I think my current GST schedule is enough cardio for my pathetically weak body ![]()
Ryan Bailey
Here's mine.
M- spl, hbp, RC, FL, 2 hours technical gym PM
W- Mn, SL, SLS, 2 hours technical gym PM
F- F7
Tues, Thurs, Sat- HS work including H1 and H2, stretch series
I am thriving on this (after about a months 'adjustment') but whether it is the scheduling per se or inclusion of some apparatus work I cannot say for certain. I have plenty of energy to do more if/when I am in a mood to. In the future I would like to move it to 2x a day training with more days off, but this is working well.I have noticed going above 2x a week per element tends to not be particularly beneficial for me, aside from handstands of course. Going from ambitious 3x F7 and 5-6 day/week schedules it feels like a massive drop in volume, but I'm steadily if slowly improving so I'm happy ![]()