This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE6 Form Check

Started by CRAIG DOESCHER, August 3, 2015 · 11 Replies · 176 Views

CRAIG DOESCHER

I'm really struggling to get my hands above shoulder level with the 11# weighted bar (see video below) as per the mastery video. With a weighted PVC I can do it no problem. But I do not have anything between the 3 or 4# PVC and the 11# bar easily available.

 

Is this an issue? Also, any other pointers would be appreciated.

 

chuchodani

You need to use a weight that allows you to use the required form.

Keilani Gutierrez

yeah, i use a piece of bamboo and stack 2-3lb plates. my weighted bar is 11.2lbs and pretty gnarly for prone holds. it gets easier after a while tho, starting off with a manageable weight for the time and then bumping it up after mastery is a process you can do over and over again. it'll be good prep for wall and free HS + the added perk of strong trapz for press HS. :)

you can make it work if you start with 2.5-5lb pounds and move it up over time.

CRAIG DOESCHER

Thank you! This is really helpful.

 

I will try 5 lbs. and see how that goes.

 

 

Keilani Gutierrez said:

yeah, i use a piece of bamboo and stack 2-3lb plates. my weighted bar is 11.2lbs and pretty gnarly for prone holds. it gets easier after a while tho, starting off with a manageable weight for the time and then bumping it up after mastery is a process you can do over and over again. it'll be good prep for wall and free HS + the added perk of strong trapz for press HS. :)

you can make it work if you start with 2.5-5lb pounds and move it up over time.

Samin Ishtiaq

Hi Craig,

 

The too much weight answers given above are the thing to check, definitely.

 

Another thought: Are you ok doing standing shoulder dislocates (backwards and forward) with a weighted bar? If your shoulders can do that (with the weight you choose), then they should be able to do this :-)

 

Good work, otherwise!

Samin

Alessandro Mainente

the reference point about the master are your wrists that should be elevated to shoulders height . for mastery 2-3 kgs is fine.

CRAIG DOESCHER

Yes, weighted shoulder dislocates are no problem with 11lb. bar. Part of the issue is that it's hard to breath with my face smashed into the floor on HS/PE5.

 

I went back and have been doing about 5.5# on this movement for six weeks and feel a lot more comfortable after reducing the weight. This was my first attempt at 30 seconds which still has some bobble to it, so I did another mini-cycle recently and feel like I'm ready for for HS/PE6 now.

 

https://youtu.be/b-Xo0QO7DE4

Samin Ishtiaq said:

Hi Craig,

 

The too much weight answers given above are the thing to check, definitely.

 

Another thought: Are you ok doing standing shoulder dislocates (backwards and forward) with a weighted bar? If your shoulders can do that (with the weight you choose), then they should be able to do this :-)

 

Good work, otherwise!

Samin

 

 

Alessandro Mainente said:

the reference point about the master are your wrists that should be elevated to shoulders height . for mastery 2-3 kgs is fine.

chuchodani

Video is private.

CRAIG DOESCHER

It should work now. Sorry!

chuchodani said:

Video is private.

Keilani Gutierrez

Craig,  notice how your upper back is pointed upwards and the angle your arms make in relation to it is a downward slope upto your wrists. the wrists need to be elevated with the upper back and you got the form necessary for mastery. trust me, it only gets much harder from this point out. :)

edit: getting that horizontal shape is what will help these exercises really give strength to the Trapz. it will make the wall handstand MUCH more effective and the transition to freestanding much simpler as well. bump up the weight on these as time goes on with the right form.

CRAIG DOESCHER

I guess I'm not sure how to change the upper back slope. Any suggestions? I presume if I figure this out that my arms will naturally reduce their downward slope. I feel like I need to pull with my upper back muscles tight to lever my arms off the ground, so I'm not sure how to keep my shoulder blades from contracting as they appear in the video when compared to the mastery video.

 

Keilani Gutierrez said:
 
Keilani Gutierrez said:

Craig,  notice how your upper back is pointed upwards and the angle your arms make in relation to it is a downward slope upto your wrists. the wrists need to be elevated with the upper back and you got the form necessary for mastery. trust me, it only gets much harder from this point out. :)

edit: getting that horizontal shape is what will help these exercises really give strength to the Trapz. it will make the wall handstand MUCH more effective and the transition to freestanding much simpler as well. bump up the weight on these as time goes on with the right form.

Itamar sha'ashuaS

Try doing it with a stick without weight or with a little weight and feel the right technique, then increase the weight with time, and make sure you're keeping the form.