This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Annoying winging scap on pseudo planche push ups

Started by Rob Loftin, August 3, 2015 · 3 Replies · 184 Views

Rob Loftin

Hey guy's, I was wondering if you could give me any pointers on this. Something I've improved over the last few years but still it's just hanging on in there.

When I do HBP/PE3 push ups, I have a tendency to have a winging scapula on both sides.

I get it worse when a bit tired but it takes supreme effort and concentration to mitigate this (basically I can get around it by STRONGLY external rotating my elbows and flaring my lats to upwardly rotating and protracting my scapula, but this is using more strength than necessary and seeing friends do the same needs no effort in their part to keep the winging inferior edge down :(

I have the strength and mobility to go up around 4steps but have been stuck on this for a while as I know it's important to get right (want to own my scapula for once and for all!!)

I have worked quite a bit with extended hollow body holds with a strong protraction of my scaps and single arm variations which has helped (used to wing on basic push ups but no more:)

What would you guys recommend as the awesomeness of awesome scapula owning drills/holds/exercises to work on with this?

Please please help me get past HBP/PE3 with perfect form :D

Thanks a billion guys!!

Pafke

Try to do it with less lean. :)

Alexander Egebak

Winging scapulae means that you are not (capable of) protracting hard enough. As Pafke said, decrease lean and gradually work your way in. PPPU usually follows planche leans which means that PPPU will require a solid planche lean to be mastered.

Rob Loftin

Thanks guys, I will get working on my scapula protraction and doing some longer holds in hollow body position with single and double arms. I guess more is just better in that respect. I managed to do a cow of PPPU's like a boss today with completely flat scapula. If at first you don't succeed, keep on until you do. :D