Bar Straps

Started by jamesters, September 2, 2009 · 3 Replies · 5,848 Views

jamesters

Where can I buy bar straps, or is there a way I can make them myself? Also, what gloves are recommended for bars, for example, if doing giants, and where can I buy those gloves? I often train on a standard metal bar at a playground but wanted straps to help me with giants.

Blairbob

Seriously if you are on straps on a playground bar and slip off you will be buggered.

Gymnastics straps can be bought for 50 bucks. Either the sewn cloth or the ones that buckle in, however...

strap bars are metal bars that have a pvc sleeve fitted around the bar whereas you won't be able to do this with a playground bar.

I'm not sure if cloth straps and gloves would lock up on a playground bar, but if they do your arm will roll around the bar and be seriously buggered. Imagine rolling a straight arm bone around a bar, get the picture?!

As for gloves for use with a strap bar, work or garden gloves I hear work fine. I've never tried this though.

jamesters

Hmmm, I'm not sure I understand why a playground bar would be much different that a bar they'd have in a gym. At my gym, we actually have 2 bars people do giants on, one is the standard kind, another is a slimmer metal kind. Why does the bar matter much when done with straps? Are we both talking about this same thing? http://www.gymsupply.com/index.asp?Page ... rodID=3485 (Yes, I found a place to buy them, but I was still wondering if there were cheaper places or a way to make these on your own.)

matthew.percussion

You can make them yourself. My coach does it. Just vinyl straps cut to length and then sewn in loops.