This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Way too tall for hanging leg raises

Started by Mitchell Church, August 2, 2015 · 5 Replies · 196 Views

Mitchell Church

At 6'6" I just don't have any way to do these in my house.  I'm also concerned about what others on the forum have said about keeping a flat back to prevent the use of the back muscles.  Would it be possible to achieve a similar (albeit likely easier) effect by doing these on the floor and perhaps weighting the feet?  I know that doesn't strengthen the shoulder girdle for L-sit style hangs though, but I'm kind of grasping at straws. 

Alan Tseng

I'm not as tall as you, but I also have a similar problem in that I have trouble doing this with my legs straight at the starting position of the HLL's so I know how you feel.  However, doing this on the floor doesn't replicate the benefits of the HLL.  It may seem like the HLL exercises are primarily a "leg lift" movement.  It is, however, close to importance is the "hanging" portion of it.  Hanging gives you the benefit of decompression of the spine, and counteracts the spinal compression in a lot of strength work.

 

Best bet is probably to do them outside, with a partner mildly pushing your scapula and doing the HLL with a "chin-up" grip in order to minimize the use of the lats.

 

I know it's hard to find stall bars :(.  They're like unicorns: you hear about them, but can't actually find them.

Jeremy Huston

The top portion of HLL is the most important part.  If you can hang and do the top 80%, I would go for that.  Eventually you'll be doing only the top half anyway, so you'll be that much closer to mastering that exercise.

Mitchell Church
Alan Tseng said:

I'm not as tall as you, but I also have a similar problem in that I have trouble doing this with my legs straight at the starting position of the HLL's so I know how you feel.  However, doing this on the floor doesn't replicate the benefits of the HLL.  It may seem like the HLL exercises are primarily a "leg lift" movement.  It is, however, close to importance is the "hanging" portion of it.  Hanging gives you the benefit of decompression of the spine, and counteracts the spinal compression in a lot of strength work.

 

Best bet is probably to do them outside, with a partner mildly pushing your scapula and doing the HLL with a "chin-up" grip in order to minimize the use of the lats.

 

I know it's hard to find stall bars :(.  They're like unicorns: you hear about them, but can't actually find them.

What if I were to do do them while simultaneously working the chin holds from RC/PE6?  I have enough room then. 

Ravn
Mitchell Church said:

What if I were to do do them while simultaneously working the chin holds from RC/PE6?  I have enough room then. 

No good. You need to work them with full shoulder extension and straight arms. When you try this you will know why. HLL demands quite a bit from your shoulder in this position, and you just won't get that stimulus in other positions.

 

When Alan says 'Chin-up' grip, he means thumbs pointing out, pinkies toward each other - However, he doesn't mean chin over bar.

Ravn
Alan Tseng said:

I know it's hard to find stall bars :(. They're like unicorns: you hear about them, but can't actually find them.

+ they make tears of joy well up in your eyes.