This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical Frog

Started by Mad Grappler, July 31, 2015 · 4 Replies · 292 Views

Mad Grappler

Ladies and gents,

Completed my first session of MS Yesterday. I find it impossible to get into and hold the vertical squat position. I used a kettle bell as a counterweight; I used a wall for support and I used blocks to help me sit up higher. There was quite a stretch in the hip of the vertical leg and well as the groin. I literally could not breathe while down. So, I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure this out while the follow along class was paused. I eventually decided to move on without this stretch. I am looking for any suggestions to help me loosen this area up. I had no idea my groin area was this tight/weak. Puhlease help me!!!!!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

The vertical frog and the piriformis stretch are suprisingly difficult. Just match the position of the athletes, albeit using blocks, and be patient. I started doing the two moves without blocks then realized that was ineffective and geared towards shortcuts; then I used two blocks and scaled back the intensity...slowly I'm making my way towards using one block. Definitely not on the ground yet though with my extended leg. Take it slow. The SLS progressions can help with this, as well as the sPL progressions. They're all synergistic, you just have to be patient.

Mad Grappler

Thanks Daniel. The piriformis stretch is quite difficult as well, I am sure my alignment was way off but I felt the stretch in the appropriate area so I will slowly fix my form over the coming weeks and months. Which SLS and sPL progressions aid the most? I have no choice but to take it slow, I have a repaired hip and labrum that I must get decent mileage out of.

Cole Dano

If you can post a form check so we can see if your alignment can be improved.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

With SLS and sPL they all help. So just start the beginning.