This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE1 mobility problem, seeking advice

Started by BorisVonPrag, July 27, 2015 · 13 Replies · 397 Views

BorisVonPrag

Hello people,

 

I've ran into issue with SLS/PE1 progression (deck squats) I need advice on

 

I have very poor flexibility in my ankles (very little dorsiflexion) so I cannot stand up properly without the assitance of my hands to push me from the floor a little bit, or If I thrust forward really hard, but that usually throws me off balance when standing up and my feet position gets all whacked also.

 

Should I continue along the progression with the assistance of my hands or should I just hammer those ankles with mobility excercises until Im able to do a proper repetition?

 

Any tips on mobility excercises for ankles?

 

Thank you very much

Leonhard Krahé

Hi Boris,

As is usually advised here, you can either use a weight held out in front of you to help "pulling you on your feet", or you can sit/roll back on an elevated surface, for example a mat, and then slowly reduce the elevation until you are able to perform the move without any. Has helped me very well :)

Of course, working on your mobility will also help ;)

BorisVonPrag

@louieclemente

thx alot, I think Ill try holding some lighter kettlebell in front of me and see how that works

if I do so, should I continue along with the progression to the end as prescribed or should I hand around in Block 1 of mastery template until my mobility improves.

Maybe Im overanalyzing this, if that's the case Im sorry :) thx again for your advice

Giovanni Garcea

I'm going through the same process and that is what is working out for me:

 

When I started I couldn't do a single deck squat and almost killed myself by taking several steps back almost crashing in the back wall during my attempts.

 

I had a 2" mattress available and I tried to roll from that --> a little less comical, but still not possible.

I folded the mattress to have an equivalent 4" mattress --> success! I could do some deck squats in this way. I didn't start from week 1, but I did an assessment and found out how many reps I could do and I started from the closest week in the template and worked my way up to 5x15 reps.

After that, I tested myself again with the 2" inch mattress and I could now do many reps with this lower surface. Again I found the closest week in the template respect to the reps I could do and started from there.

I'm making steady progress and I'm on week 9 of this simplified progression. Things are clearly going better and I tried a couple of times to do a deck squat without the mattress and it is now definitely within reach, so I'm pretty sure that by the time I get to 5x15 with the 2" mattress, I'll be able to "graduate" to a "real deck squat" progression.

Chris Garay

Hi Boris,

 

In addition to the modifications mentioned above, I highly recommend the calf / ankle / achilles series from the Front Split stretch course. Ankle dorsiflexion is a hugely important range of motion to have in many aspects of life, not just deck squats. Although deck squats are important too!

 

Best,

Chris

Giovanni Garcea
Chris Garay said:

Hi Boris,

 

In addition to the modifications mentioned above, I highly recommend the calf / ankle / achilles series from the Front Split stretch course. Ankle dorsiflexion is a hugely important range of motion to have in many aspects of life, not just deck squats. Although deck squats are important too!

 

Best,

Chris

Yes! I should have mentioned that a lot of my progress comes from my Monday night date with the front split stretch series.

Ryan Reynolds

What kind of shoes do you wear?  Get rid of anything that has a heel rise.

And Bell

Guys - thanks for the hints with the mattress 

 

I used two folded up exercise mats for my second attempt at SLS/PE1 tonight and now I can do it without falling on my butt

every time  ;)

Abram Bergen

I am unable to do a single SLS/PE1 move because I can't get into a deep enough squat. On the way down I fall quite heavily on my butt before rolling, while on the way up I cannot get my heels close enough to my glutes to lift off without using my hands. This is really frustrating! What progressions can I use to get to a proper SLS/PE1 exercise? How do I deepen my squat so I don't just fall from 8" or 9" to the ground, and also be able to get my feet under may on way back up? Help please!

Ryan Bailey

Abram, have you posted a form check video on this? You will get a lot of specific help this way.

SarahsWhere

I've had good luck stacking about 5 mats behind my feet. Search deck squats in the forum for more ideas. I'm doing both split stretch courses which is helping with the flexibility in the soleus and hip.

Abram Bergen
SarahsWhere said:

I've had good luck stacking about 5 mats behind my feet. Search deck squats in the forum for more ideas. I'm doing both split stretch courses which is helping with the flexibility in the soleus and hip.

Thanks, Sarah. I may have to look for some firm mats and do the same. How does that work then, do you just gradually, in the doing, become more flexible so you can take away mats until you are on the ground, or do you have to do other exercises to deepen the squat?

Abram Bergen
Ryan Bailey said:

Abram, have you posted a form check video on this? You will get a lot of specific help this way.

Not yet, but will consider once my gym is set up better (too messy right now :-)).

SarahsWhere

That's what Coach Sommer said. I've only been doing F1 for two weeks, so I imagine it takes a little bit. Highly recommend the stretch series too. I didn't realize just how poor my flexibility is until starting that.