This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Breathing question for static holds

Started by sjo, July 24, 2015 · 6 Replies · 403 Views

sjo

During my last practice yesterday I went into doing really deep breaths, holding them for a while, then letting them out slowly.  It was a breath that started in the chest and went to the diaphragm.  Completely unplanned or thought out. I was probably breathing completely incorrectly before (as in hardly breathing at all) but this deep breathing made the static holds a lot easier.  So much easier in fact it feels like I'm cheating?  I did the 5, 60 second holds in FL PE1 and still felt like I had more in the tank.  Tried the same thing for plank and the effect was the same.  Interested to hear what others think of this.  If I were doing this in a room with other people I'm sure the breathing would drive people bananas, but apart from that is there a reason not to breath like this? 

 

 

Coach Sommer

Do not hold your breath during static holds.

You need to learn to use the strength of your muscles via muscular contraction, not via the outward abdominal pressure of breath holding.  Basically you should still be able to speak during a static hold.  And breath as well; although granted the breaths will be shallow.

 

Perhaps it will help to think of it this way - what would happen if a gymnast attempted to hold his breath during a ring routine; other than passing out in the middle of the set?  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

sjo

Thanks for your answer Coach Sommer.  Not what I was hoping to hear, but good to know what I have to work on!

Richard Sassoon

Good timing with this question. I have been experimenting with long deep breaths, in and out, as well when performing HBH and I felt a good improvement. I do not hold the breath, but after reading Coach's answer I wonder if that is also considered "cheating" ? Should I focus on shorter shallow breaths instead? Thinking about an hypothetical ring routine I would say yes hehe....

Coach Sommer
Richard Sassoon said:

... I do not hold the breath, but after reading Coach's answer I wonder if that is also considered "cheating" ? Should I focus on shorter shallow breaths instead? Thinking about an hypothetical ring routine I would say yes hehe....

 

No need to consider this as 'cheating'; as it is a short term solution at best.

 

As I mentioned earlier, there is nothing like passing out in the middle of a turn to drive the point home that this is NOT a viable long term option.  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

sjo

All is good over here!  No breath holding today.  'Deep shallow' was the pattern of the day :)  Seems I was getting enough oxygen after all  - no oxygen starvation was happening and the holds were fine.

Richard Sassoon

Thanks Coach! I will have it in my mind from now on :)

I'm happy I haven't done it for long, so it will be easier to adapt again.