This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GST + kettlebell work

Started by BorisVonPrag, July 22, 2015 · 3 Replies · 245 Views

BorisVonPrag

Hello people,

 

I just finished my assesment and am starting on a path with foundation 1 course, just a quick question:

 

right now I'm already doing some kettlebell work 3 times a week (some tgu's and a little strenght work - usually just 1 excercise per session "on the minute" for 10mins and come conditioning work after that - rowing on concept on intervals or 2000m)

 

I'm on a 3 times a week template on GB as well and I'd like some input on whether it makes sense to spread out the recommended volume over 6 days instead of 3 due to time issues.

 

Now I don't wanna make any changes to the programming itself whatsoever, I'm total newb in GST but it would be more convenient for me to do 1 out of 4 prescribed excercise on my kettlebell day and the rest in the days between. I'm hope I'm clear enough, if this doesn't make sense, please let me know, thx

 

If this is already answered some place, I'm very sorry but I was not able to find it

MT Nordic

Hi Boris, and welcome to the forum.  This question does get answered frequently, though with lots of different protocols.  Kettlebells, Oly lifting, Power lifting, crossfit, etc.  Those posts will have some good beta for you.  The short answer is, if you want to progress at GST, then do your GST work first and do your KB work afterwards if you still have energy.  If you don't still have energy, you probably don't need it and aren't going to get much out of it.  Of course it always depends on your goals.  If your goals are power generation then KB swings are probably helpful to add.  Otherwise, I doubt doing TGU's and basic KB strength routines are going to add much to the GB program.  Those positions and movements are pretty well covered with the Foundations course.  Cheers!

 

Jon Douglas

Well, on the face of it TGU's are going to be inferior to handstand work-- you're working with greater loads (unless you are TGUing 50% bw or more) and far greater time under tension. Condition with HS wall runs and you are supporting bodyweight each arm for extended sets. TGUs would make a great HS warmup movement though.

You have GST and its progressively lower-leverage work for your strength; if you're going to add to that, fill in the gaps that are not addressed by your current training. I personally think swings are probably the single best exercise with the bells; it is satsifying to do some overhead pressing and whatnot, but when it comes down to it unless you are way advanced you are lifting less weight than, say, HSPU.

chuchodani

You want to make Foundation and Handstand series your priority. After working on it for several months or perhaps years, any other type of workout would feel and look like playing and also you will be ahead of the game. I'm talking to you based on my experience around crossfit people, capoeira and olympic lifting circles. For example at my last capoeira class we were doing some stretches, the other ones in the class were doing the stretching partnered and also they were having a hard time, I did the same stretches with the required form without a partner.