This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist pain - ganglion cyst?

Started by 87seph, July 21, 2015 · 4 Replies · 176 Views

87seph

Hello all,

 

I developed wrist pain a few years back, I believe as an overuse injury to escalating my olympic lifting too quickly. I spoke with my (military) doctor the other day, as it'd been previusly mis-diagnosed as carpal tunnel (by a military doctor).  She thinks it may be a ganglion cyst, but rather small so "deal with it" seemed to be her treatment option.

 

Depending on the day, the pain and discomfort is a sliding scale.

 

In furtherance of H1, are there any other steps I can take to mitiagte the discomfort or even put this injury behind me?  I've considered blocks, compression straps, and deep tissue massage, but would like to know the science or annecdotal evidence before I go experimenting on myself.

 

Thank you,

-Mike

MattiasF

Hi Mike

I can only provide you with my own anecdotal evidence, and it is by no means a safe or smart guide for you. Just a happy/lucky story.

I have ganglion cyst on my left wrist and got the same "treatment" as you did (surgery had a too high recurrence rate to be worth it). I stopped doing regular push-ups because after some time it became too painful in the bottom position. Then 6 months later I bought foundation and after two months of the F1 and H1 series the pain was completely gone, I attribute this to the wrist stretches in H1 and careful progressions of the F1 series. I don't even think about it anymore, even handstands are fine.

I'm sure the GST pros will have significantly more intelligent advice for you :-)

Mark Collins

I am not sure if you have heard of the old school bible bash technique.

I have an activator tool at work which is like a spring loaded gun. One day I tried using it on patients ganglion. So I gave it 10 hits and next time when they came back the ganglion was gone. This has worked with several patients.

If you don't trust someone to hit you with a bible or thick book find a therapist who has an activator tool. If you live in the U.S.A most chiropractors have these.

Disclaimer: if someone breaks your wrist I am not liable. ;)

87seph

Mattias, thanks for the head's up, this gives me hope :-)

 

Mark, I would be fine with someone taking a heavy tome to my hand, but I think the cyst is just big enough to be problematic without being big enough to be targetable.  I'm definitely going to speak with my chiropractor about the activator.  Any specific advice on how I should approach it with him?

 

Thanks,

-Mike

ausswe

I have on in my right wrist.  same deal it was big enough to be an issue but small enough that not much could be done about it. i ended up doing everything on my knuckles as a result my wrists got quite weak and inflexible after years of this.  I got h1 when it came out and started working the wrist series very diligently.  now I can hold a solid hadnstand where as before it was painful to even be in the knee push up position.   I believe rock climbing helped quite a bit as well tbh as my wrists always felt  alot better after a boulder session.

not doing too much is the key. i did the wrist stuff a few times a week and never at a level where i struggled on the last reps.  using the wrists stretches every day helped as well.

just my story,i hope it helped.