Round off snap down help?

Started by jt573660, July 21, 2015 · 3 Replies · 1,969 Views

jt573660

Hi , whenever I do my round offs my legs snap down in a different direction which twists my whole body .

I wonder if it's a problem of not rotating fast enough in my round off ? Or pushing off hard enough with my shoulders ? I'm also putting my hands in the "T" shape

Plus where should I be looking in a round off ? And should I be twisting earlier ?

https://youtu.be/PmhSFSbpJf4

Blairbob

There are some flexibility/mobility issues going on that will affect your RO technique. Closed shoulders in the CW besides arched handstand. An arch in the hips creates a twisting action.

As well, your left foot is crossing over your center line in the lunge which will create some twist into the whole movement. I can't tell if the lunge is deep enough either.

For beginners, I actually teach the RO hand placement with the first hand fingers forward with square shoulders and the second hand with a 1/4 turn from that. This is to keep the movement square until the last moment rather than turning the chest out early by placing the first hand with fingers pointing to the side and the traditional T-hand shape.

As they progress, we may turn the hands out more from the beginning placement as they need more turnover into higher level skills like layout fulls and double backs, etc.

jt573660

So to open my shoulders do I just keep my arms to my ears the whole time ? And I don't get how to un-arch my hips

Edit : here's another one with a better view

Blairbob

 I think you arch your hips because your shoulders are closed. Opening your shoulders is part keeping your shoulders open and part being able to keep them open.

Do you see how your left foot steps across your navel line on in front of your right hip? (This is why I'm adamant about teaching tumbling on a line).

About those knees though... :angry:

 

I see a bit of piking in the hips on the snap-down as well. This will self correct in time when you get stronger.

All in all, I think it's alright but just needs to be polished.