This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE4 Arch Ups vs Hip Extensions

Started by BobH, July 18, 2015 · 3 Replies · 225 Views

BobH

Is there any difference between an arch up and a hip extension (which I've done lots of in the past)?  I'm specifically wondering if we're supposed to be arching more whereas a hip extension is typically done with a straight back.  It's not clear from the course video.

 

Here's a good video describing hip extensions and back extensions.

 

 

I have a glute-ham developer so I'll be doing the arch ups on that.

Jason Dupree

The only difference I see is in the video, he hunched forward at the top. In an arch up he should be extending the upper spine and neck as well. The glute activation cue is good. The back extensions they show are also super similar to curl ups, an exercise no longer in Foundation as far as I can tell. If you've been doing hip extensions like the vid, then just the small tweak of that upper spine will get you to good arch ups :)

Cole Dano

For our purposes that isn't the greatest video. We call it an arch up for a reason. Body needs to take an arched shape form toes to head.

 

At the top: Legs straight, full extension at hip (PPT) even extension through spine carrying through to the neck. Body should come as high as possible.

BobH

Excellent.  That's the description I was looking for.  Thanks.