Winged scapulae and rounded shoulders

Started by Jesse Kim, July 18, 2015 · 6 Replies · 3,378 Views

Jesse Kim

Um, I could not find anything related to this topic, but how detrimental are rounded shoulders and winged scapulae towards GST? And what specific stretches can help improve or even revert these conditions back to normal? My shoulders are slightly rounded as a result from too much weight training back in high school, and I developed winged scapulae from swimming back in high school as well. It could have been a result of my lack of understanding how important stretching is for overall health and not just for sports.

 

Wanting to do more GST (fell in love with it, wished I did it sooner), I have heard that rounded shoulders and winged scapulae has the potential to decrease performance in training. I don't feel any pain on my scapulae nor my shoulders, but I'm just worried since in gymnastics or any GST, FORM IS CRUCIAL. If I can't correct this or any other imbalances/conditions, this would have severe consequences on my posture and overall well-being.

 

Has anyone else suffered the same thing(s)?

 

*I apologize for the long post, and from what I wrote I think I kind of answered my question, maybe not*

Cole Dano

It's a correctable issue, following the Foundation and Handstand courses will get you back in balance thanks to the integrated mobility.

Jesse Kim

Can that be found in all the Foundation/Handstand courses or just Foundation/Handstand One?

Jon Douglas

Across all of them, in a graded continuum of difficulty that begins with 1 and progresses through 4 :)

DBeckerman

I would also encourage you to get the stretch series and keep your scapula depressed when appropriate.

I had/ have a similar problem and I am much improved. I hope you find the same.

Cole Dano

As you progress, the best way we can help you is by posting form checks on any exercises that bother you, or that you are unsure of.

Jesse Kim

As of now, I have not purchased the Foundation/Handstand series, BUT, seeing that it appears imperative to improvement, I am excited to purchase it now. 

 

As of the exercises, I was following these stretches/"prehabs" along with my training, especially the scapula depression "press-up" or pushup. Been doing it for a week now, so I haven't experienced any changes yet but I am very optimistic.