This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SPL PE1 scapula "pops" occasionally

Started by Marc Nerenberg, July 18, 2015 · 3 Replies · 118 Views

Marc Nerenberg

Attached is a video of a few reps of scapular shrugs. The overhead angle is intentional.. My iPad is hanging from my ring straps so I can demonstrate something weird.

I have taken video and have the various form elements understood (ppt, elbows, no piking, etc). The thing that happens, usually on later sets, is that occasionally I get what feels like a pop at the end of the retraction, as if the scaps are moving into or past each other. I try and point it out verbally on the video when it happens. Is this a form of winging? What can / should I do about it? I thought winging occurred on protraction, but I don't see anything there.

And yes, sorry for the unedited video, but the whole thing is only 30 seconds. I can't seem to edit on the iPad.

Thanks for looking.

https://youtu.be/a1KsnQR6Vrc

Cole Dano

Hey Marc, It's not winging, and the scaps themselves don't appear to my eye to be sliding over each other.

 

It looks as if some of the musculature connecting to the medial scapula is bunching and the scap is popping up over it.

 

This isn't something I've heard anyone complain about before, but on the surface of it, it doesn't look like a major problem.

 

If you are concerned then cut your sets when it begins to happen.

 

You can also try activating the lower trap more at the bottom to bring the inferior medial edge of the scaps together, as it's the superior medial edge of the scap that is creating the issue.

Marc Nerenberg

Thanks Cole. I'll ask my wife to check to make sure the scapulae aren't sliding over each other.

Not really concerned but it is weird and wanted to check that I wasn't reinforcing a bad movement or something. Will just be careful and more deliberate in the motion.

Appreciate the help.

Vincearoo

Mine wpuld pop near the bottom of retraction in the beginning of sets, but faded as the sets went on.