Weighted pullups/chinups

Started by irongymnast, August 31, 2009 · 1 Replies · 2,050 Views

irongymnast

I can currently do 5 pullups and 5 chinups, with 25lbs of added weight. I'm weigh 150lbs.

I can probably do more but I'm afraid for injuries, strain etc.

I feel so weak compared to some of the members here who can do 1/2 BW.

My questions are:

1. How often should I increase the reps?

Like increase 5lbs every week?

2. How much time should I leave between the sets?

braindx
irongymnast said:
I can currently do 5 pullups and 5 chinups, with 25lbs of added weight. I'm weigh 150lbs.

I can probably do more but I'm afraid for injuries, strain etc.

I feel so weak compared to some of the members here who can do 1/2 BW.

My questions are:

1. How often should I increase the reps?

Like increase 5lbs every week?

2. How much time should I leave between the sets?

1. 3x5 with 3x a week you should be able to increase the weight 5 lbs each session or every other session.

2. I like 5 minutes. You can do anywhere from 3-7 minutes for strength work... sometimes if it's hard I do longer time (as long as my body doesn't start cooling down).