This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE1 Scapular Shrugs Form Check - help needed

Started by Leonhard Krahé, July 16, 2015 · 8 Replies · 205 Views

Leonhard Krahé

Hi everyone,

after going back to week 1 for the third time, I finally managed to record a form check video (I know I should film myself more frequently :unsure: ).

I just seem not to be able to do these with PPT, locked arms, scapular depression and no piking at the same time - usually, whenever I get one or two of these right, I instantly lose the rest - it especially is very hard to keep my scapulae depressed and retracted while staying hollow/maintaining PPT.

Only when I was filming this, I had the intuition to set myself up retracted and it already seems to work better.

Any feedback, hints or suggestions on what to work on first are greatly appreciated!

 

 

 

Thanks in advance for any replies

 

Leo

vannybute

Work on the pike, and also slow the tempo just a bit.

chuchodani

Could you please post a side view ? From that view we can see another details. It looks like your doing the motion right, at bottom position your scaps are touching and at top they look well protracted, however it my opinion your hand placement is little too wide, I prefer it with shoulder width. Never bend your elbows.

Leonhard Krahé

Thanks for your replies.

I will provide a side view as soon as I get to the gym again (not enough space for a proper side view at my place).

Any cues how I can fix the piking/improve my body line in this? Spend time in the bottom position with strongly activated PPT ("making it a hold")?

I will slow down the reps and put my hands closer together.

chuchodani
louieclemente said:

Thanks for your replies.

I will provide a side view as soon as I get to the gym again (not enough space for a proper side view at my place).

Any cues how I can fix the piking/improve my body line in this? Spend time in the bottom position with strongly activated PPT ("making it a hold")?

I will slow down the reps and put my hands closer together.

I think your tempo is good, sometimes piking is because a flexibility problem but in the other hand in tends to be just a natural response because the position feel easier that way. In order to eliminate the pike you need to imagine that someone is pushing your hips down to the floor but with PPT, like if you want to touch the floor with your hips but without arching.

Leonhard Krahé

Sorry for the delay, but here is a view more from the side:

 

 

I think my main problem is the shrugging cranially/losing of depression as soon as I lower down into the rep (along with bending in the elbows, which was mentioned in another form check video to aggravate the drift of the shoulders). How can I proceed? Regress to an upright, against the wall position, work up to 5x15, then proceed to an incline push-up position and then back to the regular PE1?

Ryan Reynolds

I struggle with the same issues you are having.

 

Your regression ideas are definitely good ones try them all.  And I would add with knees on the ground.  Play around and find the right form, then notch up the load to find where the form becomes challenging.

 

What I've been doing lately is I do a set of 5 or 6 reps with knees on the ground to get the feeling of what a good rep should feel like.  And then try to do as many reps as I can in the regular position trying to achieve the same felling.  I stop when I loose it, regardless of what rep number that happens to be.  No sense in practicing bad form.  I feel like I've been seeing progress in depressing the scaps.   Its the thing that's keeping me from mastering HBP PE2 as well.

 

 Anyone have a better suggestion for Louie and I?

chuchodani
Ryan Reynolds said:

I struggle with the same issues you are having.

 

Your regression ideas are definitely good ones try them all.  And I would add with knees on the ground.  Play around and find the right form, then notch up the load to find where the form becomes challenging.

 

What I've been doing lately is I do a set of 5 or 6 reps with knees on the ground to get the feeling of what a good rep should feel like.  And then try to do as many reps as I can in the regular position trying to achieve the same felling.  I stop when I loose it, regardless of what rep number that happens to be.  No sense in practicing bad form.  I feel like I've been seeing progress in depressing the scaps.   Its the thing that's keeping me from mastering HBP PE2 as well.

 

 Anyone have a better suggestion for Louie and I?

I second these ideas, start just with doing the motion without any load while standing, then you can move onto the wall, next to something incline, and later on your knees, ect.  

Leonhard Krahé

Thanks for your suggestions!

I will go back to against the wall (I was afraid this would be necessary, but what needs to be done...).

 

However, I would still greatly appreciate if one of the coaches could chime in and maybe share some of their wisdom :)