This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strength vs Mobility Progressions

Started by Levi Dempsey, July 14, 2015 · 9 Replies · 540 Views

Levi Dempsey

Afternoon! So I've been doing the course for a few weeks, and I've run up against something. Since I started I've been doing each progression (at least once) to see where I should actually be in the scale. So far, each of the strength portions has been pretty easy, but I am not at full range of motion of some of the mobility sections. 

For example, in the strength portion, I did 5 sets of 1 min of the HS/PE5 last night. Not terrible. But I am not able to get the bar up to my shoulders on the mobility for HS/PE2>iM.  I know that the strength portions are listed as "Do not go on until you are able to do x", but how should I treat the mobility? Should I not go on to a harder strength progression until I can do all the mobility progressions with full ROM?

Strength-wise, I'm probably about at PE10 or PE 11, but my mobility is not (yet). 

 

Suggestions?

Mark Collins

You have to focus on getting the mobility for mastery to move to the next level.

Levi Dempsey

So I should just keep doing the strength progression that is not challenging?

Cory Fair
Levi Dempsey said:

So I should just keep doing the strength progression that is not challenging?

 

When there is a deficit like this, strength goes on maintenance. Mobility and flexibility is your new priority until that gap has been eliminated. 

Mark Collins

You can perform the active mobility as much as you want. Restoring mobility in something that can be worked on as much as possible each day.

Matthew Berghella

At least the first seven of the mobility elements of the handstand series involve a loaded bar.  I believe caution must be taken not to do too much volume and intensity.  The idea of practicing them daily to an unlimited volume sounds risky. 

Mark Collins
Matthew Berghella said:

At least the first seven of the mobility elements of the handstand series involve a loaded bar.  I believe caution must be taken not to do too much volume and intensity.  The idea of practicing them daily to an unlimited volume sounds risky.

I agree I wouldn't do weighted mobility all day. But you can do unweighted a lot. You can extend the shoulders with an empty stick or just the weight of the arms many times a day. Most of the day the shoulder is in flexion so it adapts to this position. Getting in some extra extension can really accelerate progress.

Levi Dempsey

Sounds good, thanks all!

CRomero

Thank you Mark for clarifying this aspect of the program, very helpful. Thanks for raising the question Levi.

richardstone

Yes Mark raises the bar!