How would you guys approach using foundations with a goal of weight loss in mind?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Foundations for weight loss?
Started by Darren Reavis, July 13, 2015 · 14 Replies · 361 Views
Eat less.
Ha Ha. Simplicity at it finest.
So, if someone was overweight and their goal is to loss weight would foundations be a best fit?
Foundations+Eat Less= ideal body ?
Depends on the individual...Have they ever done any physical training before?
I would also add cardio for few times per week. ![]()
Middle ages lady. Used to run had kids been and it been little while.
Would you say you need to have a stand alone cardio days to help lose the extra pound then foundations would be easier or could you do intervals with most basic foundation movements almost like a HIIT foundations.
My background. I'm gymnastics coach. Been following GB since it was paperback. Im used to training my guys using GB progressions. I'm currently following foundations. I run our adult gymnasts classes. Traditional this class would be fundamental gymnastics conditioning along with equipment play.
I'm currently only working with one lady she was looking to do something different interesting to get back in shape. So far she has noticed increased ROM and better posture( as noticed by her husband) but she isn't seeing as much of weight loss as her goals are.
It just got me thinking. I've never really had to work with anyone with the soul goal of weight loss. What would be the best implementation in this scenario?
I would get the diet fixed first.
figure out how your body handles different foods, the rest is easy
Hi, 40 year old guy that lost 25 kg in the past two years (from 86 kg to 61 kg at 170 cm height) here. Cardio has been very important in my journey for two reasons: cardio conditioning and raising my TDEE. The second reason has been key to maintain diet compliance and be happy and satisfied.
If you don't do cardio and want to maintain a constant deficit of 500 calories or so, you'll find yourself eating very little food and that can be depressing and lead to cheat days ;-) , at least for me.
Right now what works well for me is to run for ~20 minutes at a relative high intensity just before strength workout (first 10 minutes warmup with gradual increase in speed, last 10 minutes at the lactate threshold). Hits two bird with one stone, you get 200 or so more calories burn and you are ready for the workout. I also used to do cardio on rest days, but I don't need that anymore as I don't have that much weight to lose. Depending on the specific situation of your client, running might be too high impact, while an elliptical machine could be a safer form of cardio, at least at the beginning.
HRM, a Fitbit and Myfitnesspal, have also been key tools.
Darren, I'm 36 and I've been doing zero cardio for the past 6 months while focusing exclusively on Foundations and Handstand work to fix my mobility and strength deficits before adding back the running I was doing before (about 3 miles 3 x week). I went from 17% BF to sub-10% BF during this time simply by eating a high-fat, low-carb ketogenic diet. I do my GB work early in morning when fasted, and then drink bulletproof coffee as a recovery drink/breakfast. YMMV, of course, but this approach has worked for me and several friends to whom I've recommended it.
#1 - Get diet dialed in. You're going to eat anyway, so just eat better. Simply cutting out a daily Frappucino is about 500 calories http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/frappuccino-blended-beverages/caramel-ribbon-crunch-frappuccino-blended-beverage. I had really good luck by cutting back treats and grains -- 2 slices of bread is over 200 calories.
#2 - Do some exercise that you like. I think long slow cardio is overrated for weight loss. I managed to put on 30 extra pounds while cycling and swimming a lot. I then dropped that weight be doing #1 and replacing cardio with powerlifting type strength training (3x5 Squats, Deadlift, Overhead Press, and Bench Press) and a few sprints. There's evidence that short bursts of high intensity work is as effective as long slow cardio.
The biggest thing is to find what you like and works for you. I personally don't care for bread or pasta, so cutting grains out isn't a challenge for me (except that my wife and mother-in-law love both, so there's a social side of saying "no"). I really enjoy short high intensity exercise or long bike rides (as long as there's a killer hill at some point) -- but medium intensity 20 minute runs sound like torture. If you like what you're doing, you'll keep doing it. If you're just doing it because you have to, at some point you'll most likely stop because something better comes up.
Darren Reavis said:How would you guys approach using foundations with a goal of weight loss in mind?
I've been eating healthily for two years, now I'm reducing portion sizes and doing cardio when it doesn't interfere with recovery for Foundation.
Darren, if your client is trying to lose weight then keep carbs low except on days of exercise/training. With that, maintain that carbs are not processed and about 1:2 ratio of grains:vegetables. Maintain higher fats and protein intake throughout. Ketogenesis is very taxing to people unadapted so I dont suggest it. In terms of cardio, cut out rest periods throughout foundation routines as has been extensively explained on the forums. If not only that then include some HR cardio wherein the client subtracts their age from 180 and (adds 5 beats if having trained for 5 days weekly over the last year, and another 5 if under 25 and over 55) maintains a pace where they can train at this HR range as this focuses exclusively on fat-burning.
So, in short, eat less.
I wouldn't recommend cardio for someone that is too big for their frame. Or as a means for fat loss.
If you have them do cardio, that's something they have to do in ADDITION to everything else. They now have to find
time to fit cardio in to their busy life. They may keep up with the cardio for a while, but the minute life happens,
everything will fall apart.
Via Negativa
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to be working with her again tonight. Ill see how she is doing goal wise. Ive got a good plan to cut out rest periods. Ill let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks again for all the input.