Has anyone made their own climbing rope?

Started by Micawberian, July 12, 2015 · 10 Replies · 3,145 Views

Micawberian

Hello, all

 

Have any of you experimented with making your own climbing rope? I'd like to know how the process has gone from some of you (if anyone is out there ) and any recommendations you might have.

 

I have plans to make a 15 ft 1.5" rope from Yucca fiber, basic reverse wrap with a eye splice.

Here is a quick proof of concept from lemongrass fibers from my yard, the wrapping is a bit poor but I wanted to see concept anyways. I can't break this tiny piece no matter how hard I try, so my hope is that yucca, an even stronger fiber, will hold up well for climbing safety.

Any tips appreciated!

http://imgur.com/zfbANlT

Macca

Hey mate, I made one from cheap hardware shop rope to do the early RC ex's, just a short length to fit in my bag but long enough to get the hand spacing.

 

I used a three strand weave, lots of tutorials on youtube. Not sure what a reverse wrap is. I use a carabiner to clip onto a playground bar, simple and does the job for me.

Dpparisot

It just depends on the size of rope you use to braid with. I can't rember what size ropes I used, picked them up on clearance at Menard's, but mine turned out a lot thinner that the rope shown in the article. I can take measurements when I get home if anyone's interested.

Bro'

I think I remember that discussion too, Romulo.

Also, wasn't it Ravn also that made one by 'weaving' several climbing ropes?

Gori

I bought a 5m long hemp rope and tied a bowtie at one end. I throw the knot over a tree branch and climb.

I wish I went with the 1.5inch instead of the 2inch, which is way too thick. I was after some grip work, but my hands give out a lot earlier than my lats and biceps, which is no good

bigB

I would buy a commercially made rope.  

A rope failure could be catastrophic with broken bones or even death.

I've had equipment fail on me before and it's very scary and very fast.

 

Harry Reid a senator and former boxer has lost vision in his eye because an elastic band he was using failed.

 

My health is worth far more than $150.

Micawberian
Macca said:

Hey mate, I made one from cheap hardware shop rope to do the early RC ex's, just a short length to fit in my bag but long enough to get the hand spacing.

 

I used a three strand weave, lots of tutorials on youtube. Not sure what a reverse wrap is. I use a carabiner to clip onto a playground bar, simple and does the job for me.

 

I like this idea, to make a short rope for now. I don't see myself on the last RC for a while, though I had considered the eye splice over the carabiner as a way to just buckle the rings straps through it and hang it from high heights.

Dpparisot said:

Not sure if it's quite the type of rope your looking for, but I made one just like this:

http://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/climbing/how-to-make-a-fast-rope-for-climbing/

 

Damn, I saw this article a very long time ago and it completely slipped my mind. Thanks! I will consider this!

Micawberian
bigB said:

I would buy a commercially made rope.  

A rope failure could be catastrophic with broken bones or even death.

I've had equipment fail on me before and it's very scary and very fast.

 

Harry Reid a senator and former boxer has lost vision in his eye because an elastic band he was using failed.

 

My health is worth far more than $150.

Hmm, I certainly understand the concern but I feel that the benefit of a homemade rope will outweigh the dangers presented from a standard rope climb at a reasonable height. It's not like we are doing chameleons 30 ft off the ground, right?

I have plently of yucca and I have made it into rope for small scale projects in the past. It is an immensely strong rope, and I was amazed at even the strength of the lemongrass rope I made (as to my knowledge it has never been used commonly as cordage), despite the quick poor wrap.

Jon Douglas

Yes, I made a rope with that method. Worked fine for F4 rope climb work up till the last one-- spent the money once I was looking at that one, would have been a risk for me! But if one has a lot more climbing experience than me it could be done safely, I imagine.